Resetting Station Expectations?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Resetting Station Expectations?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is there a way to fix what is expected of a station?

In 1904,I started offering passenger service to Renborough (Renborough station).

In 1928,I figured out Renborough would be a good place to deliver the goods produced at Shordean,which I had been supplying with livestock and grain since 1894 (Renborough Central station).

In 1945,I grafted passenger service from Liverston into the Shordean-to-Renborough tracks,and set up Renborough Woods station to take those other passengers.

Then,a few years later,I relandscaped to take a sharp turn out of the approach into Renborough Woods...and while I was doing it,a pathfinder sent another of the trains to Renborough Woods to the goods station at Renborough Central,which it decided it had an "implicit" order to because I'd momentarily broken the path to the Woods platform,and it discharged its passengers there,and picked up a handful of passengers and mailbags that had never been drawn to the Central platform before.

And some years after that I discovered that the Central platform had more "available waiting cargo" than any other railroad station in my system,because passengers and mailbags had started piling up at a station that had no passenger/mail trains with orders to it...and they were giving "Very Poor" ratings to service they had never been promised.I added in a fast train (115) to take them but is there a way to set a station to not expect un-offered service?...they can just walk a couple of blocks to another station and not get in the way of the goods trains!

(In my original TT days I remember a station getting horrible ratings just because it was near a forest and not taking wood,I had never intended it to take wood).
Attachments
Tendean-LeningdonRailGroup,6thFeb1952.sav
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Resetting Station Expectations?

Post by jfs »

Stations that used to receive service for a cargo but no longer does will eventually stop receiving it, but it can take many years for that to happen.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

jfs wrote: 22 Apr 2021 06:25 Stations that used to receive service for a cargo but no longer does will eventually stop receiving it, but it can take many years for that to happen.
It would be nice if this were accelerated if the station had only ever "received service" by accident (from a train with no orders to go there).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

and how exaclty do you suggest the game should guess what the intentions of the player were?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Instead of complicatedly fiddling around with different cases surely a "reset station acceptance" button would make more sense ...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote: 22 Apr 2021 22:43 and how exaclty do you suggest the game should guess what the intentions of the player were?
By ignoring visits by trains that do not have the station in their orders in setting what cargo can be available there.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

That would break purpose of implicit orders.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 23 Apr 2021 21:39
Eddi wrote: 22 Apr 2021 22:43 and how exaclty do you suggest the game should guess what the intentions of the player were?
By ignoring visits by trains that do not have the station in their orders in setting what cargo can be available there.
that's what non-stop orders are for.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

peter1138 wrote: 25 Apr 2021 14:05 That would break purpose of implicit orders.
The "implicit order" in this case was an accidental consequence of some tracks being torn up to be relaid while another train was trying to reach the station to which they connected.
I had no idea it had happened until the passenger train had visited the goods-delivery station.

Return to “General OpenTTD”