How can I help.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheMage
Engineer
Engineer

How can I help.

Post by TheMage »

I'd like to help developing OpenTTD. I love TT and now I can play it on my Mac. Thanks for that! Now I'd like to give something back but I don't have any knowledge of this programming/developing/managing-stuff. So the only thing I can offer is grafical work. It can be 2D and 3D.

I don't have a overview what was already requested or what has to be done. So if you could tell me how I can help would be great! Thanks.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Numerous things can be done to help OTTD:

1) The most underestimated point: Promote OTTD. Let people know about it. So we have a broader user base and eventually more programmers.
2) Coding. You said you do not know how to code. Fine :) However, this is your great chance to learn it. Get a decent C book and learn by looking at the code. Ask people how and why they did or did not certain things. In todays world, whenever you have a technology or science oriented job, be it engineering or Genetics, programming skills are crucial. People in Germany tend to underestimate that fact.
3) Write some documentation.
4) Play the game. Report bugs. (read the bug report howto before posting one!!!) Ask for new features. Devs will filter out what can be done with sane effort.
5) Do graphical work. I'm not sure what can or needs to be done, but those people will show up here. Be patient for a day or two.

Celestar
Vurlix
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Vurlix »

The entire openttd graphics need to be redone so that it can be an independant game. If you're interested in helping, drop by on #openttd on freenode and let us know 8)
http://sf.net/projects/openttd/
Post all your patches and feature requests here.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I would be interested in making a few but I have no idea where to start - can someone make a simple how to or something?
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

I too would like to offer to redo some of the graphics. I already tried several times but the thing is to alter old graphics or make new ones you need the grf codec and grf wizard, but it only works on Windows, or at least I haven't seen a Mac version of that.
Because of this, I always have to put the files on a Mem stick, dig out my old, slow laptop, put the graphics on there, decode them, put them back on the Mac, edit them, put them back on the laptop, encode them and so on, so you see this is quite complicated. Is there any other way of doing graphics? Or, how long will it take till the new graphics format is used?
TheMage
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheMage »

I would suggest that someone is taking the lead coordinating all the grafic creating people. And I think it would be more useful to generate a new set of grafics.
I'm using a mac too.... so it's also not easy for me to handle those .grf files. And additional I'm not yet that experienced with the TTD Files...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

worldofklaus wrote:how long will it take till the new graphics format is used?
I have no idea, but I do know it will not be in the next few day as work on it have not started yet :(

But I do know that I planned to look at grf codec to see if I could port it to mac. I looked once and this time I have promissed myself that I will use more than 5 minutes on it :wink:
It's not the same as I will have a working copy of it anytime soon though and it will be CLI only

Return to “General OpenTTD”