OpenTTD 1.11.2 ready for download!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 1.11.2 ready for download!

Post by TrueBrain »

OpenTTD 1.11.0 ready for download!

Don't hold tab too long; you might be in the wrong century now! (well, disable the fast-forward limiter first).

https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/04/01 ... -11-0.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD 1.11.0 ready for download!

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I don't consider it ready for download until you've gotten rid of that locked inflation clock.

Autorenew defaulting to on is a pain,it's a hard rule with me to absolutely never replace like with like,only with an improvement.

I'd like some clarification on "engine reliability independent of introduction date"...is this sneaking "vehicles never expire" on people by a back door,or does it just reflect that an engine purchased at the end of a production run will not decline in peak reliability in lockstep with already-old engines of that model?

No choice of maximum map height?...does this mean the highest terrain setting results in a random choice,or the theoretical max?

In the meantime,I will be starting games with various start dates so I can continue to deal with inflation starting before 1920.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I have been told "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all".

Not a rule I stick to anyway.

So could we stop with the ridiculous gatekeeping? We just released the most significant release in years.

"Autorenew is what now?" is a repeated problem new players experience. Turning it on by default is a straightforward choice. If you don't like it, find the switch, turn it off.

Inflation is broken and should be removed from the game completely. It was only left in because I'm not the king here (or anywhere for that matter).

You never did get to set map heights prior to 1.11.0. You might think you did, but you're confusing clicking a broken UI control with the actual results you get.

chuz drive
Last edited by andythenorth on 01 Apr 2021 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
MartinA81
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MartinA81 »

Thank you so much for the work you guys put into this release.

I have a save game I've been playing for a couple of years now. It's a 4000x4000 map with 550+ trains, 1000+ road vehicles, 167 ships, 554 Aircrafts. I was hoping that the new release would fix the lag but it seems to remain. I'm curious if this is simply because of the huge map size and the number of vehicles or if there are any settings I can adjust to increase the frame rate?

Again, thanks to everyone who was part of making this game such an incredible experience!

In game mode:
Simulation rate: 12.06
Graphics Frame Rate: 12.16
Current game speed 0.36X

In paused mode:
Graphics Frame Rate: 60

My Specs:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

MartinA81 wrote: 01 Apr 2021 19:02 I'm curious if this is simply because of the huge map size and the number of vehicles or if there are any settings I can adjust to increase the frame rate?
Your Mac spec is similar to mine, here are some tips you can try:

1. Edit openttd.cfg (somewhere in ~/Documents/OpenTTD usually on a Mac).

Do this in a text editor (TextEdit will do) when the game isn't running.

Set 'allow_hidpi = false', if it's not already. This will prevent OpenTTD using Retina graphics, so there is less to draw.

2. turn off 'full animation' in the settings menu. This is less relevant in OpenTTD 1.11 than older versions, but may help framerate.

3. check your Mac isn't thermally throttling. The i9 16" is particularly prone to this. It's reported to have about 105 watts of heat in an enclosure with about 85w of cooling. When it gets too hot it will throttle the CPU, down as far as 10% of normal.

Signs of throttling are Activity Monitor showing a 'kernel_task' process, usually uses about 3%, but when throttling this process uses up to about 1003% of CPU.

Things that cause mine to thermally throttle:
- any app that switches on the 'High Perf.' discrete graphics card - these show in Activity Monitor under 'Energy', e.g. Photoshop, most 3D games
- any of the popular video tools like Zoom, Teams etc
- most tv or audio streaming services, BBC etc
- any sustained CPU workload
- having the mac plugged in to the charger

OpenTTD 1.11 does not usually cause my mac to thermally throttle unless I leave it on fast-forward for several minutes. But I play smaller maps :) Older OpenTTD versions would trigger throttling some times.

4. play smaller maps

4k x 4k is quite a large map size :D
Last edited by andythenorth on 01 Apr 2021 23:10, edited 5 times in total.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

andythenorth wrote: 01 Apr 2021 18:37 I have been told "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all".

Not a rule I stick to anyway.
I'm of the opposite school..."keep your mouth shut unless you've got something to ADD."
So could we stop with the ridiculous gatekeeping? We just released the most significant release in years.

"Autorenew is what now?" is a repeated problem new players experience. Turning it on by default is a straightforward choice. If you don't like it, find the switch, turn it off.
Having it on basically obliterates the management of vehicle replacements,a key part of play.
Inflation is broken and should be removed from the game completely. It was only left in because I'm not the king here (or anywhere for that matter).
It's a challenge I like to deal with and should be configurable.
If they could make the start and finish dates configurable,why not inflation dates?
You never did get to set map heights prior to 1.11.0. You might think you did, but you're confusing clicking a broken UI control with the actual results you get.

chuz drive
It's my understanding that the maximum possible map height went from 16 asl to 256 asl when "Alpinist" was added beyond Very Flat,Flat,Hilly,and Mountainous.
I assume that choosing Alpinist allows heights up to 256 and thus I don't dare go beyond Mountainous...but I'd like to regulate how far past 16 my maps go.
mister_klister
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mister_klister »

I can't believe my eyes. For years I have struggled with a huge problem - the cursor flickering and disappearing while the game is paused, and it seemed like it was an impossible fix.

Now it works, and I'm sure it has to do with the framerate setting. Whatever you guys did, it worked!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 01 Apr 2021 18:02 I don't consider it ready for download until ...
You have to choices:

1. You can download the source code, fork the project, change whatever you like and re-distribute it.

OR

2. Return the product to your vendor and ask for a refund.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Thanks for all the voluntary work!
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
MLi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MLi »

I downloaded the new Version via Steam, including OpenGFX, OpenSFX and OpenMSX. Are these default packages then also updated via Steam, whenever new versions of them are released or do I have to check for updates in OpenTTD's extensions menu?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 01 Apr 2021 20:45I assume that choosing Alpinist allows heights up to 256
that's where you assume wrong, and that's exactly why the setting was removed.
autorenew
i don't know why we're even discussing this. if you don't like it just flip the damn switch. you are not the target audience for default settings

andythenorth wrote: 01 Apr 2021 18:37 I have been told "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all".
I'm of the opposite school..."keep your mouth shut unless you've got something to ADD."
that's fine, but repeating the same thing over and over isn't adding to anything now, is it?

we understood you the first time, your proposals were considered. now we can all move on.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Thanks guys, for the new version! :bow:

I find lots of interesting new interface features, and they'll take some time getting used to.

I'm still disturbed by the depot window "auto-resize" when the vehicle numbers exceed 99, but that's starting to get old now. Everything else looks fine and dandy.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote: 02 Apr 2021 11:00
Baldy's Boss wrote: 01 Apr 2021 20:45I assume that choosing Alpinist allows heights up to 256
that's where you assume wrong, and that's exactly why the setting was removed.
So is there any key to exactly what elevation ranges the various height options allow?

A vast increase in possibilities accompanied by adding one more option implies an enormous range for that option.

As for autorenew...the difference between buying something once and subscribing to keep replacing it is rather large.

And what's the story with the reliability change?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

andythenorth wrote: 02 Apr 2021 20:10
Baldy's Boss wrote: 02 Apr 2021 18:18 And what's the story with the reliability change?
Fixes a bug introduced in OpenTTD 1.9.0, see https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/8325
I'm wondering if that bug as described affects this save...but the correlation I see there is not with dates but with sets.
Every UKRS engine has reliability in the low 90s and every NARS or the worldwide set appears to be in the low 80s.
Attachments
St. GrarstableCometRailGroup,1stJun1946.sav
(4.38 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

So... No more XP support eh?
This is just unnecessary, but developers chose the MS route: MS compiler, MS github (repository), and MS wants to sell new versions of their OS.
How very freedom-loving of you all.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

SirkoZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021 08:50 MS wants to sell new versions of their OS.
If you don't want to give money to Microsoft, why don't you abandon their products altogether? Fortunately, they are not required to play OpenTTD.

Whatever action you take, please stop using Windows XP. At this point it's like an open invitation for the hackers of all kinds.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

I'm not trying to complain or start a fight, I just want to say that for what I need it XP is good enough for now still. I don't need no Win 6.x extavaganza. :-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

For a game that, more and more, depends on Internet connectivity, it seems rather irresponsible for it to support an OS whose Internet connectivity is an open sieve for malware and randsomeware to slip through. Plus, compile tools are no longer being updated for that targeted OS.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

SirkoZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021 08:50 So... No more XP support eh?
This is just unnecessary, but developers chose the MS route: MS compiler, MS github (repository), and MS wants to sell new versions of their OS.
How very freedom-loving of you all.
You can't run games from 2001 on MS-DOS 1.0 either.

Return to “General OpenTTD”