OpenTTD 1.11.2 ready for download!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

milek7
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.11.0 ready for download!

Post by milek7 »

Well..
https://milek7.pl/.stuff/openttd_1.11_xp.exe, drop into 1.11 data directory. MSVC 2017 redistributable required.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SirkoZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021 08:50and MS wants to sell new versions of their OS.
and that's why they gave all the last upgrades for free?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, Windows XP is now 20 years old and can’t reasonably be expected to be supported - but as milek7 has proved, there’s nothing to stop you building it yourself for XP. Support has been removed from the source code for non-Unicode versions of Windows (95/98/Me) though, but so far nobody seems to have complained!
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote: 03 Apr 2021 10:45 For a game that, more and more, depends on Internet connectivity, it seems rather irresponsible for it to support an OS whose Internet connectivity is an open sieve for malware and randsomeware to slip through. Plus, compile tools are no longer being updated for that targeted OS.
My current OS is FreeBSD 11.4 so I'm certainly on the anti-MS bandwagon (low running cost,high speed limit,no caboose needed) but the only thing I use Internet connectivity for with the game on is checking for NewGRF updates.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

milek7 wrote: 03 Apr 2021 13:39 Well..
https://milek7.pl/.stuff/openttd_1.11_xp.exe, drop into 1.11 data directory. MSVC 2017 redistributable required.
Thank you, milek7, much appreciated.
Wow!
This 1.11 OpenTTD is really snappy even without hardware acceleration. A fine piece of work.
One bothersome thing for long time OpenTTD player - center main view on vehicle is now a tiny icon and not a big one like in previous version and in TTD...
A very optimised release indeed. 8)
Might just have to upgrade to test that hardware acceleration. :-D
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

SirkoZ wrote: 03 Apr 2021 19:15 One bothersome thing for long time OpenTTD player - center main view on vehicle is now a tiny icon and not a big one like in previous version and in TTD...
The tradeoff - not sure this was explained, or if I missed it - is that there is now one button style for 'location'. :wink:

Previously it was 'eye icon' for trains and 'location' in many other windows.

This is unified and saves space. I missed the eye icon sometimes, but I got used to it quickly.
Last edited by andythenorth on 03 Apr 2021 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
spajdy
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by spajdy »

So far I am confused why inflation is behaving differently, but okay, I am gonna probably figure this some how, not sure how yet. And I was confused by missing icon for location of the vehicle. More of Ctrl+follow the vehicle. But I did figure it out. But damn, this fast forward is fast, me likey.

I did not download from Steam, I am more classic :D (not really, but I tried and then moved to JGRpp version again).
With best regards,
Špajdy.

My released NewGRFs:
ImageImageImage

You can find what I am planning next, or doing right now right in my developer diary.
Slovakia | lang : slovak | english

SLOVAK DISCORD SERVER I (and others Slovak and Czech creators) write there in Slovak about what I (ot they are) am planning. This invitation is valid for 100 users.
It is alive and well. :)
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

I was also confused, but for players who don't know either, here's the picture: :lol:

LOCATION BUTTON
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

milek7 wrote: 03 Apr 2021 13:39Well ... drop into 1.11 data directory. MSVC 2017 re-distributable required.
Great Job ! Works like a charm. Many thanks. We would simply not throw an OS, like WinXP, that has worked so well for 17+ years, for me at least, on the scrapheap, would we.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Never! :mrgreen:

BTW the Visual C++ 2017 runtime dlls you'll find here in Tech Powerup's pack - just install the X86 versions for XP and everything works: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/vi ... ll-in-one/ .
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Recently, I decided to conduct some important and frivolous research called "The Threat of Alien Attacks in the times of peace". I made a map, ran it ... and accelerated it. I immediately remembered that I had turned off the speed limit in the previous game. It took maybe 2 seconds. It was enough to pass almost 5 years in the game. :D
I paused, finished building what I was supposed to do, and restarted acceleration.

The test was to last 100 years. It literally took me less than 2 minutes.

For those interested, these are results:
[+] Spoiler
Massive alien attack.png
(57.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
37 alien attacks in the 100 years since their first landing.
The acceleration of small games is very high. In the case of large ones, the differences are not so visible anymore, although there is still some improvement. A very big improvement can be seen in the case of sets where the carriages and locomotives are longer than 0.5. Thanks for all the work You put into it! :)

I also very happy with the new possibilities brought about by changing the map terrain settings. Finally something really good emerged from that, diplomatically writing, not the best concept. Personally, I would prefer specific altitude ranges for proper terrain setup and map sizes, but that's good too. Changing the amount of snow and sand is definitely a big plus. There are still some problems, but this way offers very interesting possibilities.
Inflation
Well, that wasn't a good change. Definitely unnecessary. Removing it would be just as pointless, especially since it can be repaired. It can even be improved enough to be really interesting - instead of breaking the balance of add-ons, it could even repair it. It could even repair broken old games where the costs exceeded the income. It could also adjust the difficulty of the game to the level of the player or players. This feature has great potential. ;)
fridaemon wrote: 04 Apr 2021 07:22 LOCATION BUTTON
  • This button is too small and hinders the use of functions
  • Ctrl + LMB gives you a strange and completely unnecessary for vehicles function of the additional viewport
  • Double-clicking causes an unpleasant jump to the view
  • All players have to change their habits
Advantages of this change? With so many flaws, I don't see any.

There are tons of things that can fix or add something new to the game. Something that players have often expected for years. Ideas that significantly change something, and especially remove something, should be carefully thought over and perhaps it is also worth asking players what they think about it from time to time. I think there is a lack of communication between developers and players today.

Anyway, thank You again for all Your work.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Hmm, is Windows XP no longer supported? I got 'error executing program' when trying to launch 32bit version.
It was working fine for 1.10...
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Nice, there is already solution, thanks, it works. Previously I quit reading thread due to some inflated inflation rants :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

While running 4x4k scenario 1.11.0 on Linux (Intel Core 2 Duo E7500@2.93 GHz, Quadro NVIDIA), I see no acceleration of the game (even with changed max acceleration from 2500 to 0). With and without hardware acceleration.
While no problem on 1.10.3.
1x1k scenario can be accelerated on 1.11.0, but 4x4k is almost lagging - is there a way to increase performance?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Another issue: I cant start dedicated server with scenario or saved game (-D -g options).
I got message

Code: Select all

Game Load Failed
Broken savegame - The intro game must not use NewGRF
if dedicated command line option is used (why even he ask for intro?)

Without -D option it can load scenario properly, though.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

McZapkie wrote: 06 Apr 2021 20:01 While running 4x4k scenario 1.11.0 on Linux (Intel Core 2 Duo E7500@2.93 GHz, Quadro NVIDIA), I see no acceleration of the game (even with changed max acceleration from 2500 to 0). With and without hardware acceleration.
While no problem on 1.10.3.
1x1k scenario can be accelerated on 1.11.0, but 4x4k is almost lagging - is there a way to increase performance?
4096x4096 maps are extremely large. They have 16 times more tiles than 1024x1024 maps, so you'd need a CPU that's 16 times faster to run at 4096x4096 map the same speed as a 1024x1024 map.
The hardware acceleration option is not magical, all it does is make pixels get to your screen slightly faster, it doesn't help simulation performance at all, that's still entirely on CPU.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

jfs wrote: 06 Apr 2021 21:23 4096x4096 maps are extremely large...
So what? Please read carefully, I can accelerate gameplay speed with same scenario running earlier version of the game. Current version seems to have worse performance rather than better, compared to earlier one, that is my point.

Edit: I checked CPU load using top: 103% for 1.11.0, 57% for 1.10.3, with same 4x4k scenario loaded, normal speed.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Well then, what do the game loop, graphics rendering, and video output times in the framerate window say? For both 1.10 and 1.11.
Also maybe it's time to open some threads in the Problems forum (or on the issue tracker on Github) for these things instead of trying to discuss it all in one thread.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Well, world tick are over 40 in case of 1.11.0 compared to 16 for 1.10.0, no problem with gfx rendering. I will check it with other scenarios and fill ticket on github.
I was just curious if I missed some setting or compiling option?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.

Return to “General OpenTTD”