1.11.0-beta2 released!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

1.11.0-beta2 released!

Post by TrueBrain »

We just released the second beta of our 1.11 release series!

And we could use your help this time. We made some massive changes to the videodrivers on all platforms (OpenGL support, 60fps, ..), and it would really help us if it was tested by more people before we release 1.11. So, if you have the time, please download 1.11.0-beta2, and give it a spin.

As always, please report any (new) bugs you find on our bug-tracker!

https://www.openttd.org/news/2021/02/28 ... beta2.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 1.11.0-beta2 released!

Post by jfs »

By the way, OpenGL support does not mean 3D graphics, or even accelerated sprite rendering. It's simply using OpenGL to put the same old software-rendered graphics on the screen in a slightly more efficient manner.
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

60fps
But you broke down again. When moving the view and the FPS started to sag
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Yes, there is a big problem with the slowdown in game performance. Changing your view slows down the game a lot. Even when paused, dragging the view is now very ragged. Vehicle tracking doesn't work properly.
[+] Spoiler
This is not a criticism, I only illustrate the problem. Without trial and error, there would be no progress.

Any way there are a lots of good and very good changes in new version. :)
For me, the biggest thing is to improve the pathfinder for road vehicles, thanks to which fast vehicles will avoid slow roads. A big change for the better. :) Thanks to LordAro. A very good change is also the change of default settings, especially for non-stop orders (turn on by default) and inflation, which will be default off.
I don't want to write any more, because there are really a lot of good changes. :D

Unfortunately, there are also some quite controversial and even bad changes in my opinion. The first two changes that do not change anything for the better, but are a restriction on the freedom of the game. :?
1. Forcing mountainous terrain for the arctic climate. (#8513)
First of all, it makes it difficult to obtain the desired terrain by telling the player how he should to play (obtaining flat, snow-free maps and high snow-covered mountains is possible only by using ready-made height maps). Second, the change makes the settings very inconsistent, as the selected settings have nothing to do with the effect visible in the game. Thirdly, it does not solve the problem of unsuitable land for forests, which supposedly was the aim of this change. The problem of forests and farms can be solved without restricting the freedom of players and without causing inconsistencies in the settings.
2. Rigid determination of the inflation period. (#7589)
This change greatly reduces the possibility of playing with this mechanism. If the player starts the game later, especially after 2000, the costs at the start will be very high, often making it impossible to play. Even by starting the game in the default 1950, the costs will become very high much faster and the game will become impossible to continue much sooner.
Other solutions were proposed. Why is added to the game such solution that limits the freedom of the game?
3. Removing the vehicle location icon and replacing it with a different, very small, elsewhere. (#8455)
The purpose of the change was to improve consistency in the game. Now the name changes and the transition to the location have dedicated, the same icons everywhere. Basically this is not bad intention. Improving consistency in the game is a good goal, but this path doesn't seem all right. The problem here is mainly the aforementioned size and location of the icon. The disadvantages of this solution mainly concern the vehicle window. In this case, it is a frequently used function in my opinion and shrinking the field of icon is not good.
Another disadvantage of this change is the way to turn on vehicle tracking by double-clicking the icon. This method causes the view to jump, which is definitely not pleasant. This in fact can be corrected by smoothing the view change, even if the option is turned off. However, I am not convinced that changing the current method by using Ctrl + Click makes sense. Now, in this way, an additional viewport opens at the place where the vehicle passed. This is good for static elements such as stations. For moving vehicles, such a window is almost completely useless - vehicles already have their own window. Why open new ones?
[+] Spoiler
Location icons.png
Location icons.png (141.97 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Attachments
OTTD 1.11.0 Game speed - beta1 vs. beta2.png
(626.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I've asked about the inflation-clock alteration before.

Will it affect existing save-games where inflation started at a date other than 1920?
I'm afraid to introduce any of my existing saves to the new version,and want to know if I can create games with other start years for inflation that I can keep on the shelf before trying the new version,if this can not be made a configurable option.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Baldy's Boss wrote: 01 Mar 2021 00:47 I've asked about the inflation-clock alteration before.

Will it affect existing save-games where inflation started at a date other than 1920?
I'm afraid to introduce any of my existing saves to the new version,and want to know if I can create games with other start years for inflation that I can keep on the shelf before trying the new version,if this can not be made a configurable option.
I checked and it works like this that if you started the game earlier, the effect of inflation will be extended.
I started the game in 1750 in v1.10.3, so inflation should have ended in 1920.
Then I opened this save in v1.11.0-beta1 and the inflation continued there until 2020, which is the next 100 years of inflation.

I have built an optimal line with very low maintenance costs.
The costs in 1750 accounted for 5% of income.
In 1920, they were already 27.8%.
In 2020 it was 68.3%.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So inflation in an old save will keep going to 2090?

It's been my goal to last out 170 years of inflation with an end year for the inflation before the game-end year of 2050(which I believe became configurable,so why can't the inflation years?)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

ufiby wrote: 28 Feb 2021 20:45
60fps
But you broke down again. When moving the view and the FPS started to sag
LaChupacabra wrote: 01 Mar 2021 00:26 Yes, there is a big problem with the slowdown in game performance. Changing your view slows down the game a lot. Even when paused, dragging the view is now very ragged. Vehicle tracking doesn't work properly.
(..)
For both of you:
What OS are you on and what GPU do you have?

If possible, start the game with `-ddriver=4` and please show us the output that generates. That would be of great help, tnx!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

LaChupacabra wrote: 01 Mar 2021 00:26 Yes, there is a big problem with the slowdown in game performance. Changing your view slows down the game a lot. Even when paused, dragging the view is now very ragged. Vehicle tracking doesn't work properly.
Do you see this slowdown as well when you play with default vehicles rather than NewGRF vehicles?
Does the number of vehicles on screen affect the level of slowdown?

Your screenshot shows a very large figure for Graphics rendering in the frame rate window, but not particularly large for the viewports sub-item. Do you have any other windows open on screen that are outside the screenshot area?
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

Windows 10 64bit

Code: Select all

dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded blitter '32bpp-anim'
dbg: [driver] Resolution for display: 1920x1017
dbg: [driver] OpenGL driver: ATI Technologies Inc. - Radeon RX 560 Series (3.2.14760 Core Profile Context 21.2.3 27.20.14535.3005)
dbg: [driver] OpenGL: Detected AMD GPU, not using persistent buffer mapping due to performance problems
dbg: [driver] OpenGL shading language version: 4.60, texture units = 160
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed video driver 'win32-opengl'
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed sound driver 'xaudio2'
dbg: [driver] Detected DirectMusic ports:
dbg: [driver]  0: Microsoft MIDI Mapper [dbg: [driver]  1: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth [dbg: [driver]  2: Microsoft Synthesizer
dbg: [driver] DMusic: Try to load DLS file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\GM.DLS
dbg: [driver] DMusic: Parsing DLS file
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed music driver 'dmusic'
dbg: [driver] DMusic: Entering playback thread
dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded blitter '40bpp-anim'
Up to version master-20200225 It works perfectly with the performance of the game, fps is stable, I did not notice that it drops a lot
Starting with the version master-20200226 things have changed, for the worse
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

Good evening! You've been sent a video. And compare. This will make the game better, 60 frames per second is cool. But it seems to me that something will break and greatly affect the performance for unknown reasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtJXfn ... e=youtu.be
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

LaChupacabra wrote: 01 Mar 2021 00:26=
3. Removing the vehicle location icon and replacing it with a different, very small, elsewhere. (#8455)
The purpose of the change was to improve consistency in the game. Now the name changes and the transition to the location have dedicated, the same icons everywhere. Basically this is not bad intention. Improving consistency in the game is a good goal, but this path doesn't seem all right. The problem here is mainly the aforementioned size and location of the icon. The disadvantages of this solution mainly concern the vehicle window. In this case, it is a frequently used function in my opinion and shrinking the field of icon is not good.
Another disadvantage of this change is the way to turn on vehicle tracking by double-clicking the icon. This method causes the view to jump, which is definitely not pleasant. This in fact can be corrected by smoothing the view change, even if the option is turned off. However, I am not convinced that changing the current method by using Ctrl + Click makes sense. Now, in this way, an additional viewport opens at the place where the vehicle passed. This is good for static elements such as stations. For moving vehicles, such a window is almost completely useless - vehicles already have their own window. Why open new ones?
[+] Spoiler
Location icons.png
Not a big fan of this either, in part because the button is so small and perhaps in part because of all the extra clicking involved in getting to follow a train! Or maybe I played the game too long and GUI changes drive me crazy too easily :D

I think it perhaps would be better if when you double clicked a train that was moving it opened the viewport and followed the train in the same command,rather than having to click once to open the train then click again twice on the tiny little icon to get to follow it.
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

jfs wrote: 01 Mar 2021 10:55 Do you see this slowdown as well when you play with default vehicles rather than NewGRF vehicles?
Does the number of vehicles on screen affect the level of slowdown?
Do you have any other windows open on screen that are outside the screenshot area?
NewGRF, map size, number of vehicles, number of open windows doesn't matter. Even on an empty, smallest map, the game speed slows down to 0.20x when changing view or tracking a vehicle.

Interestingly, the minimap, which previously worked in jerkily, works very smoothly in Beta2.

Windows10 x64
Tintinfan wrote: 01 Mar 2021 20:30 I think it perhaps would be better if when you double clicked a train that was moving it opened the viewport and followed the train in the same command,rather than having to click once to open the train then click again twice on the tiny little icon to get to follow it.
Double clicking on a vehicle to track it seems quite intuitive to me. I like this idea. But "instead of" as the only method, that would not work because of the very fast vehicles.

I don't know if it's a good change. I think more opinions are needed. Anyway, if game stayed with it, it could use some tweaks.
[+] Spoiler
1. Increase the size of the location button - already 4 pixels change a lot (it is also worth considering the general option of resizing the GUI other than just x2/x4, which for medium resolution screens doesn't make sense)
2. Ctrl + Click - in the case of static objects, such as cities, enterprisess or stations, it opens an additional viewport; in the case of vehicles it allows you to track them - here it should not open any additional window
3. Make it possible to go to the station the vehicle is heading to also with Ctrl + Click on the lower beam
4. Moving the vehicle name change icon to the vehicle properties window - this is not a very often used function, but rather very rarely and only once (I almost always change the name), so there is no need to display this icon - in most situations it only pollutes window.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I have similiar problems on Linux with the new beta2. In particular scrolling the view and moving the mouse is heavily stuttering. The framerate is constant 60 fps, but there is stuttering that wasn't present before. Also, this occurs with both sdl and sdl-opengl drivers, albeit it is a lot stronger with the sdl-opengl driver. Also, it seems the CPU is more stressed than before ...

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 with X11, here is the -ddriver=4 output:
[+] Spoiler

dbg: [driver] Resolution for display: 1225x999
dbg: [driver] SDL2: Mouse is at (1982, 435), use display 1 (1366, 0, 1280, 1024)
dbg: [driver] SDL2: using mode 1225x999
dbg: [driver] SDL2: using driver 'x11'
dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded video driver 'sdl'
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed sound driver 'sdl'
dbg: [driver] Fluidsynth: sf (null)
dbg: [driver] Fluidsynth: samplerate 44100
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed music driver 'fluidsynth'
dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded blitter '32bpp-sse2-anim'
dbg: [driver] SDL2: using threads

dbg: [driver] Resolution for display: 1225x999
dbg: [driver] SDL2: Mouse is at (1890, 484), use display 1 (1366, 0, 1280, 1024)
dbg: [driver] SDL2: using driver 'x11'
dbg: [driver] OpenGL driver: Intel Open Source Technology Center - Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (SKL GT2) (3.0 Mesa 20.0.8)
dbg: [driver] OpenGL: Using persistent buffer mapping
dbg: [driver] OpenGL shading language version: 1.30, texture units = 192
dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded video driver 'sdl-opengl'
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed sound driver 'sdl'
dbg: [driver] Fluidsynth: sf (null)
dbg: [driver] Fluidsynth: samplerate 44100
dbg: [driver] Successfully probed music driver 'fluidsynth'
dbg: [driver] Successfully loaded blitter '40bpp-anim'
dbg: [driver] SDL2: using no threads
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I was starting from scratch (new HDD) on my Mac running 10.14.6 and did a new installation. It installed fine (via the DMG), but when I started the application it timed out with the spinning beachball of death. I confirmed that it did create all the directories in my Documents folder though. I then installed 10.3 and ran that, prompting the download of the graphics. I then went back to try 1.11, which worked properly. Has anyone else on Mac tried a clean install?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

oftcrash wrote: 08 Mar 2021 20:59 I was starting from scratch (new HDD) on my Mac running 10.14.6 and did a new installation. It installed fine (via the DMG), but when I started the application it timed out with the spinning beachball of death. I confirmed that it did create all the directories in my Documents folder though. I then installed 10.3 and ran that, prompting the download of the graphics. I then went back to try 1.11, which worked properly. Has anyone else on Mac tried a clean install?
Reported here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/8785
And already fixed in our latest nightly :)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

TrueBrain wrote: 09 Mar 2021 09:56 Reported here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/8785
And already fixed in our latest nightly :)
You guys are amazing! Seriously. Thank you so much!

Return to “General OpenTTD”