Drowning cities

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Drowning cities

Post by Wuzzy »

Hey, I discovered something silly.
If you play on a scenario map in which cities start on the ocean floor (with the water removed), you can destroy the entire city by flooding the area. This brings the population down to 0. Hehe. :D

Now here's something I wonder about: If you have killed a city like this, it is possible for it to ever regrow during the game, after you "unflood" the area? Or is the city dead for good, forever having its population at 0?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Drowning cities

Post by Redirect Left »

You would need to encourage the kickstart and fund the initial buildings I'd think. Then you can grow it normally transporting passengers to and from it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

As long as the city center tile (the one which the city name is above) is untouched, you should be able to get the town back by getting rid of the water, getting a wall up to protect them, and then fund the first go. As soon as you have capacity to serve passengers, do so and it will grow. It grows the most with at least 4 well-served passenger stations, even if its a single bus running a loop within the town itself.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Yes, the city can regrow. it will start doing so by placing a road on the tile where the town name is. (as long as that tile is not blocked by something else, like rails)

To properly accelerate town growth, you need 5 serviced stations. Doesn't have to be passengers, any cargo will do (e.g. nearby industries), but the town will also slowly grow back if left unserviced.
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wuzzy »

I have just played around with this a little, and yes. Towns with 0 population and no streets might eventually start rebuilding roads and houses all by themselves, but this might take many, many years.
Financing buildings actully works reliably, but this option is only available if you have a ton of money.

Thanks for the hints. :-)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Hmm. Are there any scenarios where you have to race the wave of tsunami to build your rail network and get as much profit as possible before cities are destroyed? Is it possible to also disable landscaping tools, or make raising land expensive?
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

building a ring of canals also stops the wave.

Return to “General OpenTTD”