Change time scale?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mumia
Engineer
Engineer

Change time scale?

Post by Mumia »

I've been searching all over the place but I can't seem to find any up to date information on this. How do I change the speed of time passing in openTTD? Is it even possible?
kamnet

Re: Change time scale?

Post by kamnet »

Mumia wrote: 23 Jan 2021 10:37 I've been searching all over the place but I can't seem to find any up to date information on this. How do I change the speed of time passing in openTTD? Is it even possible?
If you want time to move faster, then use the "fast forward" button on the toolbar. It will run as fast as your computer can physically run it. It can get quite fast.

If you want to slow time down, then you will need to use a version of OpenTTD with the Daylength patch. If you can compile C++ source code yourself, then you can build your own custom version of OpenTTD. Most players can't do that, so they'll need a pre-compiled version. Currently the only up-to-date patch pack that has the Daylength patch is the JGR Patch Pack, which is very popular (possibly the most popular patch pack at this time).
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You mean that you want the game date to advance faster or slower, right?
What's your goal with that? I'm not saying it's a wrong thing to wish for, many want to do it, but people also want it for different reasons.

One common reason might be to slow down technological progress, i.e. make the game run for longer between new vehicles being introduced and old vehicles being obsoleted. That lets you play the game more with the same technological level, instead of constantly needing to upgrade things.

Another might be that you want the scale of cargo production (passengers, mail, and industrial cargo) to change. That could be to make so towns make more or fewer passengers in the time it takes a train to run back and forth, or ditto for industries.

It could also just be that you want a clock showing time of day, so you have a sense of running a daily schedule across your network, rather than a bus taking a week to travel from one end of a town to the other.
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

As per kamnet using JGR's patchkpack, goto settings on start page and......click accounting then adjust daylength as you can see I have it set to 5 this slows the game down. there are lots of other adjustments you can make, experiment but you willl need to start a new game when the settings are changed. Be careful on what you change :wink:
Attachments
Unnamed, 1952-01-01.png
(1.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

mak wrote: 24 Jan 2021 08:59 experiment but you willl need to start a new game when the settings are changed. Be careful on what you change :wink:
For nearly all of the settings, changing them in the middle of a running game is fine.
Settings which cannot be changed in a running game are disabled/greyed out.
If you are worried I'd suggest saving a copy of your game as a backup before making major changes.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

I have just learnt something thanks JGR. I was always worried about changing settings when in a game so have never done it.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Generally, what you should NOT change is NewGRF settings. the in-game settings are usually fine (or they are very hidden)
Mumia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mumia »

Thanks for the replies.

What I wish is for the date / time to progress slower to slow down technological advancement and cargo production rate without affecting anything else. So it would take days instead of months to finish one round trip on longer lines etc, and small towns wouldn't produce hundreds of passengers in time of one trip to the nearest town.

Where would I find a binary for the JGR patch? I did a quick google search but it only returned a github result where I only found sources, and a result on this very forum discussing the patch, but no actual downloads.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Mumia wrote: 30 Jan 2021 12:13 Where would I find a binary for the JGR patch? I did a quick google search but it only returned a github result where I only found sources, and a result on this very forum discussing the patch, but no actual downloads.
https://github.com/JGRennison/OpenTTD-patches/releases

It's linked from the first post of the forum thread.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
HPoltergeist
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HPoltergeist »

Hey Guys,

Do you know how this would affect multiplayer?
I guess all players should have it patched, but still, any known issues?
Any experience about this?

Thanks in advance!
🚂 🚃 🚃 🚃 🚃 🚃
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

HPoltergeist wrote: 07 Dec 2023 04:01 Hey Guys,

Do you know how this would affect multiplayer?
I guess all players should have it patched, but still, any known issues?
Any experience about this?

Thanks in advance!
The Discord JGR servers, as well as private servers I play on, have been using daylength for years without any issues :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”