How to mass-replace old-vehicles?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

How to mass-replace old-vehicles?

Post by Wuzzy »

When you have lots and lots and lots of vehicles and advanced in the game for several decades, you will quickly run into the problem of many of your vehicles becoming very old (old age) and the news get spammed with notifications about your old vehicles.

So you need to replace them. However, I find it very inconvenient to do so. Especially in the late game, most of the gameplay just consists of just replacing old vehicles. I need to:
- Find an old vehicle
- Send it to depot
- Buy a new vehicle (copy or new model)
- Copy the schedule
- Sell the old vehicle
- And repeat. For. Every. Single. Vehicle. Ugh!

Evetually I just give up and let my vehicles chug along for decades, especially when I have >180 vehicles already.

And no, the automatic replacement feature doesn't help at all because it requires you to put vehicles in a group first … manually. Which makes it not very useful. Also, it doesn't seem to be able to replace a vehicle with the same model, or to only replace old vehicles. The vehicle groups would be useful if there would be some kind of “automatic” lists because manual group management is tedious. Like a list that contains all old vehicles, or a list of all vehicles which are no longer being built, or a list of all vehicles that lost money in the previous year.

Is there a better way that I have overlooked to mass-replace old vehicles without all this micro-management?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to mass-replace old-vehicles?

Post by jfs »

In the game settings, there is one called Auto-renew. That makes vehicles automatically replace with the same model when they get old, but it only works globally.
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How to mass-replace old-vehicles?

Post by Wuzzy »

Ah, right. I always forget about this setting. It's really well hidden, too.

I have now figured out that you can actually mass-replace vehicles in the "all" group as well. Yes, this definitely reduces the micro-management massively. Good! :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”