Question about Cargo Age Instant

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ATransporte
Engineer
Engineer

Question about Cargo Age Instant

Post by ATransporte »

Hello there,

I've discovered OpenTTD this year and am having a good time playing it :D.

Currently I'm playing using the xUSSR set, but I do struggle with the trains whose passenger wagons have Cargo Age setting as "Instant". They seem to barely cover their running costs, and the later versions do not cover they acquisition/replacement costs, despite running almost full. I become bankruptcy after some years when I try to start employing them. If I only use slow age wagons it is fine, on the other hand.

So my questions are: What is the mechanic of different cargo ages? What are instant cargo age passenger trains used for?

I play on standard size maps and use the JGR Patch, shall this play a role.

I already thank you for an answer and for this wonderful game :wink: !
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Question about Cargo Age Instant

Post by odisseus »

I know very little about the xUSSR set, but the wagons with fast cargo ageing are probably intended for metro and commuter trains that run over very short distances. I guess that these wagons also have very high capacity and loading speed.

The cargo ageing rate is there to prevent you from using these wagons on long distance trains. IIRC the xUSSR set also provides long distance and luxury cars with a low cargo ageing rate, but their capacity and loading speed is also low.
ATransporte
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Question about Cargo Age Instant

Post by ATransporte »

odisseus wrote: 20 Dec 2020 20:02 I know very little about the xUSSR set, but the wagons with fast cargo ageing are probably intended for metro and commuter trains that run over very short distances. I guess that these wagons also have very high capacity and loading speed.

The cargo ageing rate is there to prevent you from using these wagons on long distance trains. IIRC the xUSSR set also provides long distance and luxury cars with a low cargo ageing rate, but their capacity and loading speed is also low.
Indeed, as far as I have tried, it seems they work as you say. Thanks for the answer!

Return to “General OpenTTD”