hi all....

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

david1806
Engineer
Engineer

hi all....

Post by david1806 »

Hi fellow TT fans......

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Found out about this free version last night. I first played TT when it was released back in the nineties - it was a superb game then, and it still is. Well, it looks like it might be even better now. Running it on hi-res on a big screen is awesome...! :)

I don't pretend to be an expert - far from it. In fact it has been so long, I would say I am a beginner. Although, I do have one quick question if I may...? One of my buses just keeps on breaking down. It is only a short route, there is nothing different about it to my other buses. I did find another post here that basically just said to disable breakdowns - would people agree with that? It would be a shame to take away that aspect of the game, but if it is broken and breaking down is just random and arbitrary (there's irony, right there!) then I guess it would make sense to turn it off. Just hope I don't need to start a new game.

Come say "hello!"....
David, UK
Chrill

Re: hi all....

Post by Chrill »

First of all, welcome!

Breakdowns are generally set to "Reduced" or "None". There are some patches that alter breakdown behaviour, making it more realistic.

What are you aiming to do? Build a nicely flowing network that is meticulously planned and looking pretty, sort of like a huge model railway? Turn breakdowns off. Up the difficult, impose limitations on yourself, try to work around various issues to make it more realistic and challenging? Keep it Reduced.

Personally, I don't use breakdowns because they add little to the game other than being annoying.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
david1806
Engineer
Engineer

Post by david1806 »

Wow - thanks for the speedy reply Chrill, much appreciated. I think probably option 1 is nearest to what I want. I wouldn't mind a functioning break-down option, but if it really is knackered then bugger it, I will just turn it off. Can I do it within the game? I can't seem to find it, the only option page I can find is the grey one, the one that gives you currency etc options. Or do I need to restart, but then I will have to start a new game, no?

Once again, thanks mate - I promise not to be too much of a pain!
David :)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The grey window is the Options menu, while breakdowns (and other useful settings) are in Settings. Click and hold the gear icon and go down to Settings.
settings.png
settings.png (246 KiB) Viewed 338 times
david1806
Engineer
Engineer

Post by david1806 »

Ah - brilliant. I was single clicking the gear icon and getting nowhere!

Thanks all - breakdowns are now off! Should make the game much more enjoyable.

Also, does a competitor ever appear? I am at 1960....

Sorry, one more quick one? Why does a bus do a journey travel empty before picking up passengers i.e.travels empty first time it travels its route
Thanks again :)
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

david1806 wrote: 23 Oct 2020 20:39 Also, does a competitor ever appear? I am at 1960....
By default, there are no computer players/AI/competitors.

If you want competitors to appear, you need to download an AI from the Online Content downloader, and enable them in the AI/GameScript Settings.

I personally don't play with AIs, so I don't know what AIs make for fun competitors.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
david1806
Engineer
Engineer

Post by david1806 »

Erato wrote: 23 Oct 2020 20:47 I personally don't play with AIs, so I don't know what AIs make for fun competitors.
And now I can see why!! I am playing a new(ish....1959) game now that has an AI player - and I totally regret it! It is messing with all my plans and just generally being a pain in the ass! I think I might start yet again with no AI this time. I want a true sandbox game, really not interested in competing, just with myself. And the AI just builds stuff randomly all over the map - most annoying!! :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”