The Luck Of The Irish?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

The Luck Of The Irish?

Post by CTarana45 »

I set up rail line between my Bank and a Gold Mine! Tracks, Stations and Depots! As soon as I finish the orders, the Mine Vanishes into thin air! :D I know it's not a Bug!

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: The Luck Of The Irish?

Post by odisseus »

You're right, it's not a bug. Industries that aren't serviced may disappear with time. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate the damage:
  • Extend the existing infrastructure to serve other industries;
  • Use cheats to replenish your money supply;
  • Avoid primary industries that have very low level of production, especially when you have just started playing.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

That does give me a thought for a feature request, though - a "months until closure" type of countdown

I know you can estimate it based on the production level, but that's not very intuitive to newbies... it would be nice if the game did it automatically
Jon
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

Luckily, A new gold mine was right built right next to my city!
I wasn't aware OpenTTD had any cheats! 8)

Thanks, Guys!

Christopher Tarana
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

audigex wrote: 11 Sep 2020 20:45 That does give me a thought for a feature request, though - a "months until closure" type of countdown

I know you can estimate it based on the production level, but that's not very intuitive to newbies... it would be nice if the game did it automatically
That can be done with a NewGRF mod, but changing the base industries' behaviour is basically impossible since that could break existing industry-mod NewGRF in all kinds of unexpected ways.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

jfs wrote: 12 Sep 2020 08:12
audigex wrote: 11 Sep 2020 20:45 That does give me a thought for a feature request, though - a "months until closure" type of countdown

That can be done with a NewGRF mod, but changing the base industries' behaviour is basically impossible since that could break existing industry-mod NewGRF in all kinds of unexpected ways.
I was more meaning taking the existing behaviour and displaying an estimate of how long until the industry will (or is likely to) close. Eg calculate the number of ticks until the industry will drop below 1/4 production, and convert that to a time estimate

I believe there's an element of chance to when the output is adjusted, in which case it won't be precise, but perhaps then it may make sense to display the minimum time that the industry will definitely be alive for

If nothing else, an "In danger of closing soon" when the industry is within 1 or 2 adjustments of closing could make sense, so players can try to pick an industry that gives them a little more time to build.
Jon
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Right I suppose it's possible to calculate the number of months until the risk of closure announcement is greater than some threshold.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

There already is an estimate - industry production (for primary industries ofc). If it's low industry is likely to close soon, don't use it. Also building train before track helps as well since it increases station rating and reduces chances of production going down. Though servicing industry with low production is a waste of time anyway.

Return to “General OpenTTD”