Need help with these signals

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ttycoon1985
Engineer
Engineer

Need help with these signals

Post by Ttycoon1985 »

After reading all documentation and try a new game I am having problems with signals in a train station. I don't understand why a train is allowed to pass from an entry signal traffic light while other trains are at the station. This is the screenshot:

https://ibb.co/Rg8PVgt

I have "double" exit signals in the station and an exit signal to the path the train should follow. Can somebody help me to understand what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Need help with these signals

Post by Emperor Jake »

That's because the track leading out of the station also has an exit signal, which is green and therefore the entry signal is also green. Entry/exit signals are block signals and have no concept of pathing, and signals along straight sections of track should have plain block signals. For almost all situations it's far better to use path signals because they're more intuitive and traffic flows better, so unless you're doing super advanced stuff (e.g. priority merges and logic trains) you never even have to touch the entry/exit signals.

Also a heads up, you can upload screenshots directly to forum posts using attachments. Hope this helps :)
Ttycoon1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ttycoon1985 »

I tried with path signals and I have the same problem. There is something I am doing wrong...

https://imgur.com/a/oRmAQ4M#a4dF4fz
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Ah, think about this: signals should be placed where you want trains to be able to wait without blocking your junctions. You should turn them the other way so trains wait in your platforms, not in the middle of the crossover :wink:

Actually, a terminus station like that doesn't need signals on the platforms at all, but it's still good practice to leave room if you want to extend the line later.

Here's an example off the wiki:
Ttycoon1985
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ttycoon1985 »

That makes sense. Thank you, I'll try again later. I don't know why I can't link images from imbgg and imgur to this forum...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I think you hotlinked the imgur album instead of the image itself. But it's not necessary because this forum allows attachments :wink:

Return to “General OpenTTD”