Brazil Southeast Scenario

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

speeder
Engineer
Engineer

Brazil Southeast Scenario

Post by speeder »

This scenario is still work in progress, I won't release any files for now.

But long story short: I decided to make a scenario, that start in 1700 (but the way I am doing it, make easy to generate later years versions too), that depicts the state of São Paulo in Brazil, and some surrounding areas (some major cities present: Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Curitiba).

I started making this map way back in 2014, it took me in total 2 months of work to make the heightmap. 2 weeks to make the waterways work (more or less, there are some glitches here and there but... they work). And now I am making a custom version of FIRS to reflect brazillian economy, and a custom version of the "Renewed Village Growth" script, that will show some historical events as news, and will also spawn the industries correctly (the map you are supposed to play with industry spawning to "funding" only).

I created this thread to ask for suggestions in general.

But currently what I most need help with: I need to know what business are important, that have to show up on the map mandatorily... my GS can spawn business at specific dates and locations, and paste a sign with their name, but now I need to decide what business are these (example: Brazil's first steel mill, "Siderúrgica Nacional", will always spawn at its correct location, using GPS coordinates, and always on the correct date it was built).

After I am all done I plan in releasing not only the scenario file, but also a lot of code and tools... like python scripts, libre-office files that can generate files the scripts read, a patch to import water into OpenTTD scenario editor, the modified FIRS source, etc...
Last edited by speeder on 09 May 2021 00:07, edited 2 times in total.
thiagofjv
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Brazil Southeast Scenario

Post by thiagofjv »

Is there a way to creste coffee plantations over new grfs?

This was the dominant industry on São Paulo and Minas Gerais state in 1700...

Do you have plans to make new grfs of trains and buses?

Good luck with that and any news please post here!
speeder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by speeder »

I do plan in having coffee plantations.

But to be honest this project still remains a huge pain. The amount of data to research, process and understand is staggering. I am having to learn coding of stuff I never did before, and I am struggling with the industry replacer.

To take a break from this I joined Crisis of the Confederation CK2 mod, because that felt like an easier project to work on.

Now I am thinking of resuming work on this.

EDIT: maybe to see if people like it... I will upload the current prototype of the map alone. Mind you a lot of things will be wrong in it, it is not ready but... I had some fun playing in it.

EDIT2: My plan is use OpenGFX+ as base for my industries.

This is what their chain looks like right now (I do plan in improving this) https://mermaid-js.github.io/mermaid-li ... jpmYWxzZX0
Attachments
spprototype1.scn
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
thiagofjv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thiagofjv »

8o

Man, this is amazing!

It will be a very challenging map, i loved it!

I have only one question, which version of Firs you use?
I have some versions but this is the only newgrf that your scenario don't recognize in my game.

But again, this is an amazing work!
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

custom version of FIRS to reflect Brazilian economy, and a custom version of the "Renewed Village Growth" script , until these get released this will be unplayable.
grochowski
Engineer
Engineer

Post by grochowski »

Hi guys. I see that perhaps every commentator here is portuguese speaker or brazillian - counting with me. But, in order of receiving help from the community, I will resist the temptation to write in portuguese and just stick to english.

First, I will recommend you to test a NewGRF made by PikkaBird (I think) called Industries of Caribbean. It has some commodities similar to the brazillian Economy from 1700 to 1930, and there is also an interesting feature of the export/import point. Other NewGRF that could be used is AuzIndustries, based on australian Economy.

For a better research about brazillian economy from 1700s onwards, I suggest the reading of “História Econômica do Brasil”by Jorge Caldeira. But in a glimpse I can explain the economy of Brazillian Southeast by its most important goods in each period:

-1700s: slaves (indian and black slaves), sugar cane, sugar, cachaça, corn, cattle, salted meat, gold, diamonds, leather, beans, some imported wine, precious stones and tobbaco.
-1800s: slaves (black slaves, imported), sugar cane, sugar, cachaça, corn, cattle, salted meat, gold, iron ore, coffee, tobbaco, leather, beer, dairy products, some imported wine and precious stones.
- 1900s: sugar cane, sugar, corn, soy, cattle, meat, gold, fine timbers, coffee, iron ore, pig iron, steel, beer, dairy products, fruit, paper.

BTW, I’d love to see your scenario/Map. I think It Will be awesome
Last edited by grochowski on 14 Sep 2023 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
grochowski
Engineer
Engineer

Post by grochowski »

piratescooby wrote: 12 Jun 2021 10:32 custom version of FIRS to reflect Brazilian economy, and a custom version of the "Renewed Village Growth" script , until these get released this will be unplayable.
Hey piratescooby, is there one version of FIRS like this?
grochowski
Engineer
Engineer

Post by grochowski »

speeder wrote: 08 May 2021 23:59
EDIT: maybe to see if people like it... I will upload the current prototype of the map alone. Mind you a lot of things will be wrong in it, it is not ready but... I had some fun playing in it.
I’ve played the Map you’ve uploaded. Its absolutely gorgeous. I’m playing with FIRS 4 in Heart of Darkness mode, that allows for Rubber, coffee, alcohol and diamonds, starting in 1700. I have to had deleted every industry of the Map due to incompatibilities, but this fits into NY gameplay style, of developing first the Royal Highway from Diamantina to Rio de Janeiro, and then funding the industries.

I can help you out with historic research of the economy of the region. And keep Up the good work
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Heart of Darkness is no longer in Firs 4, this mod was in the first version. Now it's a Hot Country. By the way, changing the industrial version in the played game is strongly not recommended. Every time I did this I got errors, even if I removed the existing factories. I understand there is no other option yet, I just think I'd rather wait before trying this scenario. :)
Rather, the trial version should have been created without the factories on the map. But it doesn't look very promising, the author hasn't written anything here for two years. :(

Return to “General OpenTTD”