Traffic Flow

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TinPau
Engineer
Engineer

Traffic Flow

Post by TinPau »

Here is my save game and I need suggestions on how to improve thr main train line - it is getting clogged real fast. Seems they are having a problem leaving Fishhead Cove Central

Suggestions ???

There has got to be a more efficent way

TinPau
Attachments
TinPau Hauling, 29th Jan 1989.sav
Traffic flow problem
(54.11 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
If the train falls off the track, do you want your money back ?? Yes, or no, or maybe...
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i tried your game, a good thing is to build an overflow control, see: http://www.owenrudge.net/TT/rail2

and, another thing: you mistaked presignals, in this configuration they do nothing, i try to improve your game and then i will send it to you
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i made some improvements, first of all search for signs i have placed around the map, then try to understand how pre-signals work and use more waypoints and share orders (for trains which take the same route) to change them for all trains (which have the shared orders) fastly
Attachments
TinPau Hauling, 28 Giu 1992.sav
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

hmmm didnt i already fix one of your savegames?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I have made a few other changes that may help. As Wolf01 said you need to understand presignals better. I found the whole network was congested just because the lack of working presignals on the island at the top!

Also a few other things, one of the stations around Sleepywell had an entrance track that was too small so the trains wanting to get to the other stations had to wait. Also I enlarged that station as it was a bit small.

The cross overs that you did on the main line are useless as they cause loads of congestion. Use tunnels and bridges instead.

I changed Fishhead Cove Central so that trains from there heading towards Sleepywell only use one line, the other one caused too much congestions. Also I changed the station so that one bit isn't reaserved for the Coast of Living trains, the other ones were waiting too long. I am not sure whether this will help in the long run but it appears to. Trains from the Coast of Living to Sleepywell use the second track from Fishhead Cove Central. I also added a waiting bit so that trains that want to exit don't stay in the station (have a look and you will see what I mean).

Another thing that could help could be splitting up the main line a bit, see the picture.
Attachments
TinPau Hauling, 30th Oct 1990.PNG
TinPau Hauling, 30th Oct 1990.PNG (68.92 KiB) Viewed 490 times
TinPau Hauling, 1st Nov 1990.sav
(54.49 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

for intersection see the attached picture

don't forget to use signals for looong bridges (if you make a bridge with "terrain pillars" you also can enlarge them by 1 tile to put a signal!!)
better schedules for vehicles/trains with shared orders, i noticed that in your case some trains have the same orders but in different position, for example
train 1
A
B
C
D

train 2
C
D
A
B

this is the same, and you can share the train 1 orders with train 2 so you can modify them quickly
Attachments
D & D Trasport, 20 Dic 1956.png
(151.84 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
TinPau
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TinPau »

Thanx for thge help ... yeah I was unsure of pre-signals and how to place them. Thanx

How can I share orders for trains ?? I am not aware how to do this

TinPau
If the train falls off the track, do you want your money back ?? Yes, or no, or maybe...
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Make shure vehicle got blank orders, then hold ctrl and press another vehicle which orders you want to share.

Return to “General OpenTTD”