harder game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jeisen
Engineer
Engineer

harder game

Post by Jeisen »

Hi !

I play with some friends at openttd. We would like to improve the difficulty. We play with this gfx :
- BaseCosts Mod 5.0 (x2 in all stats)
- Road Hig 1.4.1
- FIRS Industry Replacement

Start money : 200.000 and no credit
cargo distribution

The start is difficult, but after 5 years, one of us win the game because he snowball.
How we can improve difficulty again ?

Thank you
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: harder game

Post by PikkaBird »

First, disabuse yourself of the idea that having lots of money is "winning". Not having enough money to build what you want isn't "difficult", just tedious; and once you've got enough income that you can build what you like, the excess is irrelevant.

If you want a challenge, I recommend looking into gamescripts which give you an actual goal to build towards.
Jeisen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeisen »

with a lot of money, we can build all we want. So make another trains, aircraft for more money too.
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

I'm long time ttd gamer and like harder games, I'm having fun with:
high costs
high maintence
vehicle maintence reduced (never off)
infraestructure costs on
max bridge/tunnel to 20 tiles (or even less)
x5 weight multiplier for train
5% slope for train
Realistic acceleration
plane 1/1 speed
cargodist for everything (I use symetric for pax/mail and equal distribution for the rest) - JGR Patch Pack
Effect on distance around 175-200%
Ammount of returning cargo for symetric 90%
Saturation for short paths 80% is fine, less will take more time for cargo to reach destination it will go on many stops/routes, equal to less profit, higher saturation, the cargo will go on shortest route, so more profit, but you need to handle the cargo flow better.

Some grf I'm using for altered costs:
Basecosts mod (if you want to alter something more, currently it's default as i'm using below grf)
alternative basecosts grf (makes any land cost, bridge, tunnel very high, i'd say it's more realistic too, this forces you to think where to pass your train)
Opengfx Airports put maintence to 1/4 or 1/2 (it's too high if not)
Squid Ate Fish - use improved costs for infraestructure (use this to lower costs of canals to around trains tracks costs)

Vehicle grf your choice try these found to be very nice and need to use eletric/non eletric to get good profits:
Nutracks + Iron Horse
This combo made a mess with me, I've upgraded all my trains to electric and found that maintence was too high, went from 500M to 10M then moved back to non electric, all fine after (mostly cargo game).

There are many combos for tracks+trains, test yourself, the new Ufby UReRMM is very nice

A little different is xurss set, it adds a very nice set of tracks (very high price) and nice set of trains, no need for track grf, I'm using that right now, I like Polish PKP too and many other trains sets that are very realistic or non standard.

Vehicles I like Polish road set too, it's very nice for 1950+ games, I use it with road hog and some trams grf

And use a gamescript that change city growth, I'm currently using New Word Disorder (nice different approach), but like to use Think globally, act locally too (more friendly as it gives all the details on the game story book and goals), there are more on that style of GS.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

By default, OpenTTD is a sandbox game so there is no such thing as difficulty in it regardless of settings. IMO only by having a goal and a time limit you can truly call it difficult. For example, doing 30k town on citymania under 1h is quite difficult (https://citymania.org/goal/5282/best-scores).

Return to “General OpenTTD”