Optimization

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Optimization

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Just wanted to leave a thanks and congratulations to the developers of the TTD engine. I have an older system (first-gen i7, ten years old now), but OpenTTD runs smooth as butter. I've tried to see how far I could push it by having thousands of vehicles operating simultaneously and zooming right out so they're all on screen, and my system temps don't even budge. This despite a lot of older games pegging out my quad cores because of poor optimization and "push it till it moves" design philosophy.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Optimization

Post by jfs »

I wonder how fast TTD for Windows, with TTDPatch and the GameSpeed patch for unlocked speed, can run on a modern system :)
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Optimization

Post by LaChupacabra »

jfs wrote: 07 Jan 2020 12:50 I wonder how fast TTD for Windows, with TTDPatch and the GameSpeed patch for unlocked speed, can run on a modern system :)
spid.PNG
spid.PNG (13.07 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Answer: Fast, even Very fast ;)
Sometimes so fast that this speed can be a problem.

Interestingly, the game on an old and already weak computer with small maps works faster than on a much stronger new one. Its x165.3 (year in 5.1s) for old, and x86.9 (year in 9.7s) for new one.
However, the result changes dramatically as the game load increases. Where the old has barely x1.0, the new still has something around x3.0 - x4.0
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “General OpenTTD”