Questions and suggestions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baltimees
Engineer
Engineer

Questions and suggestions

Post by Baltimees »

I played the game more than a decade but I am not a professional/ advanced player, I am not a beginner either - I am more like a regular player.

I also like to play in single player mode.

Because of that, I have done lot of research and now I have questions:
1) Are advanced signals really necessary for single player mode?
2) Do I really need to prioritize my trains?
3) Why do I need download AI if I want a competition and what AI is perfect for small competition?

I would like to create volcanic pirate island for different scenarios, but I do not know how to make a map so complex any suggestions?
This is my name
Director
Director

Re: Questions and suggestions

Post by This is my name »

About volcanic pirate island, you would have to go on an A D V E N T U R E, then you would get something you would not even thought of and succeed.

1) At least you can use one-way block signals.
2) What you mean by 'prioritise'?
3) Why do you want AI in the first place? and SimpleAI.

About A D V E N T U R E, 'good' deeds.
usecubes.com 3-D Pixel Design Software
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Questions and suggestions

Post by jfs »

First and foremost, play however you get the most fun. In single player, there is no such thing as cheating or unfair play, apart from the rules you set for yourself.

1) I always recommend using Path signals everywhere. They allow for a lot of flexibility, generally require placing fewer signals total than with block and pre-signals, and represent real-world railway signalling better.
2) No. It's something others do when they have huge networks and want more control of how junctions flow, but if that's not your playstyle then why bother?
3) Many years ago the built-in AI was removed, I think because it wasn't feasible to maintain it and keep sensible with all the new additions being made to the game. Instead the scripted AI system was added to allow for much more variation in possible AIs. Visit the AIs subforum and read about the different, there's also some members here who run competitions between AIs and rate them. You can try SimpleAI, it's goal is to be similar to the original AI, and I hear it isn't bad either.

Making a map isn't too hard, really. Just start the Scenario Editor from the main menu and use the terrain tools to make plains, oceans, and mountains. Place rivers and lakes and trees if you want, then put some towns and industries, and you're done. Save the scenario, go back to the main menu, and then click Play Scenario and pick your custom creation.

Return to “General OpenTTD”