NewGRF name next vehicle name

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FedeX699
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF name next vehicle name

Post by FedeX699 »

Hello! Is there any way to see the NewGRF name next the vechile name on the vehicle list? I'm using a custom Europe map with NewGRFs from UK, CZ, FR and CH and it's a bit complicated pick the correct vehicle from the list.

Thank you!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: NewGRF name next vehicle name

Post by planetmaker »

Such facility does not exist currently. You can often guestimate from the engine names, the way descriptions are written, the information provided and the art style which set they belong to.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

planetmaker wrote: 02 Dec 2019 14:03 Such facility does not exist currently. You can often guestimate from the engine names, the way descriptions are written, the information provided and the art style which set they belong to.
It would be nice if the query tools could reveal this by clicking on vehicles, either running in the game or in the purchase menu.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Using the sprite aligner will tell you which file a sprite is from, it's a bit complicated but it works. Can't remember if that tool is enabled by default though, you may have to enable developer tools
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Emperor Jake wrote: 03 Dec 2019 01:20 Using the sprite aligner will tell you which file a sprite is from, it's a bit complicated but it works. Can't remember if that tool is enabled by default though, you may have to enable developer tools
It's only available when you enable the newgrf_developer_tools.

That said, I can definitely see reason in this info being available client-side in the purchase list - for exactly the reasons the OP mentioned
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

There's a PR for it on Github (from Stormcone) https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/7852

Doesn't interest me, for reasons that may be obvious, I know who made the grf for a vehicle :shock:

Seems like a relatively harmless feature though, and might be a valid case for a setting (which is rare) :)

It's just a toggle on/off for a UI string, can't see much going wrong except that it doubles the required testing for vehicle UI changes in future.

Return to “General OpenTTD”