What is the maximum number of train in OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

nanth_abc
Engineer
Engineer

What is the maximum number of train in OpenTTD?

Post by nanth_abc »

What is the maximum number of train that can run in the game?
kamnet

Re: What is the maximum number of train in OpenTTD?

Post by kamnet »

In theory it's unlimited, it entirely depends on how much processor and memory your device. The number can be configured in the game settings, the default is 500.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

There is a global pool with a hard limit of slightly over 1 million vehicles total in game, across all companies. In this context every car on a train counts as a vehicle. (Also airplanes count as 2 vehicles, helicopters as 3 vehicles, and I think articulated road vehicles use up a vehicle per articulated part.)
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Isn't there a limit at 5000 for trains you can build ?
This could be increased if you buy other companies.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

MagicBuzz wrote: 16 Dec 2019 16:21 Isn't there a limit at 5000 for trains you can build ?
There is a setting called 'maximum number of trains per company. I spammed 99999999999 into this box, the maximum, at least on the JGR patchpack I use, is 10,000 on this setting. or rather, that is what it set it to when i spammed lots of 9s. I'm guessing with some effort you could modify it in the source code should 10,000 not be enough. In my experience, even my i7-8700 is rather unhappy when you get to about 4,500 trains, at least on the map size i am using
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”