Make game fun at the start

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Make game fun at the start

Post by Expresso » 03 Nov 2019 16:59

I generally play passenger only games, But lately the start is kind of boring. Do you guys have any suggestion to make the start interesting?

I play the game to grow a massive network with some junction stations at big cities, not to overcome the early game difficulties starting out. So, I usually start out at 2070 (so I don't have to go through the torment of having to replace all the trains over and over again) and I generally turn on magic bulldozer and give myself a gigantic subsidy.

I'm aware; it's cheating. I do not care. I'm well capable of playing the game and enriching myself early on, but the nuisance industries provide me with I do not want. The nuisance of getting a station near the centre of a big city, I do not want. For me the challenge is getting my semi-realistic network to run smoothly.

I just want a glorified sandbox. Openttd provides just that. However, how do I make the game fun at the beginning playing this way?

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Make game fun at the start

Post by Redirect Left » 03 Nov 2019 17:08

To start with, it is too easy and too fast to make money with passengers (or even mail in a lot of situations). I tend to start by using freight such as coal, iron ore and wood to start with, then use the freight stuff to build passenger stuff later on, and eventually i end up with a huge network like this. Admittedly i tend to play the same game for 6+ months, and the gmaei s always running in the background and i alt-tab to it when i have spare time to build more.
Attachments
Hamilton & Co., 15735-12-19.png
(110.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!

srschacher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by srschacher » 06 Nov 2019 02:34

Expresso wrote:
03 Nov 2019 16:59
I generally play passenger only games, But lately the start is kind of boring. Do you guys have any suggestion to make the start interesting?
Try one of the game scripts.

My personal favorite is "Goal-Based City Growth", found here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=75598

It randomly assigns a town that you have to increase the population to 20,000. It also assigns some additional delivery goals that you have to meet during the game or pay a penalty. The town grows by delivering specified cargo, which becomes more complex as the town becomes larger.

If you like it, see some patch files that I uploaded on the last page of the post to change the penalties.

Steve

DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus » 24 Nov 2019 23:43

For me it's not the start that is boring, it's after you have tons of money and no challenge whatsoever.
Goal-Based City Growth is a good one, I think I used it at one point.
Playing against AI taught me a good deal about how to make extreme profits. Usually the AI can outcompete my trains only using road vehicles, really impressive.
And I currently use one script called "City Growth Limiter", cities after a certain population (custom value) can only grow after a certain percentage of passenger/mail transported every month (I set it to 30% but you can go higher if you want) Helps a great deal to keep cities from growing too much without control.
"Watch that s***, cowboy"

Return to “General OpenTTD”