Grid system?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Grid system?

Post by L. Spooner Inc » 25 Sep 2019 18:57

I'm wondering whether there's any drawback to dividing your entire play area into a grid system of tracks made up of identical, interlocked square roundabouts, and then allowing trains to find their own way from pick-up to drop-off.

_dp_
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Grid system?

Post by _dp_ » 25 Sep 2019 19:26

To call anything a drawback you need to state what is your goal first. For traditional goals like money or citybuilding grids are pretty much a waste of time. Mb for a long game with Busybee GS they'll be usefull by I haven't tried.

jfs
Director
Director

Post by jfs » 25 Sep 2019 19:30

This question reminds me of an ancient challenge: TwentyTwoTowns challenge, for TTDPatch without vehicle/station/orders count limits (fully?) lifted. (Maximum 240 trains allowed, no other vehicles allowed.)

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro » 25 Sep 2019 21:42

Due to the somewhat negligible effect of terrain and (possibly) the grid-based nature of TTD my networks naturally end up to be large grids. Not to the extend to what you describe, but it's a bit of an annoyance I usually try to avoid since real ones ... ... ... well, they kinda sorta sometimes also are but not to that extend :|

For example
download/file.php?id=189134

If you look at this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 6-2010.png
It's more like major hubs are centers of wheel-like networks, with lines going in multiple different directions (still forming grids of sorts, though). But of course in TTD there's a bit of a limit to how many different directions you can take and I suspect most tend to avoid "diagonal" tracks, so that's even less directions, meaning you automatically get something that's more explicitly like a grid ...

Anyway, what you suggest is just doing it in a more fine grained manner. Of course that can be done.

odisseus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by odisseus » 27 Sep 2019 13:08

L. Spooner Inc wrote:
25 Sep 2019 18:57
I'm wondering whether there's any drawback
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Go ahead and try it out, then report here. I would be interested to look at the end result.

That said, there's one obvious disadvantage of a pre-designed grid compared to an organically grown network: the upfront costs of building and maintenance. A junction capable of handling 100 trains will be a huge money sink if you have only one train yet.

Then again, there is a whole community engaged in building pre-designed grids that cover the whole map.

Return to “General OpenTTD”