How did you get into OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

delibelly
Engineer
Engineer

How did you get into OpenTTD?

Post by delibelly » 01 Aug 2019 11:36

Hi all,

First time posting here. Just wondering how you all got into OpenTTD?

Mine was from years ago with the original TT. My uncle moved down near where i was living. I must of been 12ish and i remember going around with my parents for his famous curry. He asked if i wanted to play a game on his PC and he showed me this wonderful game. It came on floppy disks and that was it, i was drawn in. Sadly he passed away 8 years later. So whenever i fire up OpenTTD now, the managers name is always his.

How did you get into it?

trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: How did you get into OpenTTD?

Post by trainman1432 » 01 Aug 2019 12:23

I was really young and trying to find games about trains. After endless searching, I found myself at the OpenTTD website and picked it up.
Jetrain
YATTC

dol422
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dol422 » 01 Aug 2019 17:05

I was browsing google play store about 5 years ago and happened to come across it. Installed it, then played it. By Christmas of 2014 I was already well into the game, and had even downloaded it onto my laptop.
Lambrini and coke is the way to go
I think I may need a mental institution
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge » 01 Aug 2019 20:52

A very clever man sent me an ICQ (remember that?) saying he'd been working on a TTD clone and would I like to have a look at it. The rest, as they say, is history. ;)

rbos86
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by rbos86 » 02 Aug 2019 03:59

Original Transport Tycooon Deluxe -player. Started way back in 1996.
During 2000-2009 I had no PC when living on my own for the first time. When I finally had a PC I tried to install the game, didn't work anymore...
Searching for a solution I started using Google, and Google became my friend. I found OpenTTD almost instantly.

I'm not anywhere near developing the game, just still loving the game.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button

Auge
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Auge » 02 Aug 2019 11:02

Found a demo version of TT in a games magazine in the december edition of 1994. It crashed reproducable a few minutes after the program start but it got me. The full version, I bought a few months later, ran without problems. I never played TTD but in 2006 I found OpenTTD and since then ...

Tschö, Auge

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro » 02 Aug 2019 11:13

Got the original TTO - I think it was the first full-price PC game I ever bought, but it's been too long to be sure - then later TTD. After that stopped running so well on then-modern PCs I started using patch. OpenTTD only started to interest me after it clearly moved ahead of Patch in terms of features. Well, it still doesn't allow for building-over-tunnels (I think) or programmable-signals, but it's made up a ton of other stuff since then obviously ^^

lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn » 07 Aug 2019 07:47

Like Auge, Way back, I found somewehere a demo version on a floppy disk. The DOS version but already with multiple 'windows' . I was hooked immediately. It is my favourite game of all times.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 » 13 Aug 2019 22:35

I just typed "urban simulation game" because I didn't even remember SimCity (yes, until some time, I never knew SimCity existed) but wanted to download SimCity 4 and that's how I found OpenTTD. Don't ask me more about this story.

Postapocalyptic Pete
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Postapocalyptic Pete » 13 Aug 2019 23:18

Played a port of the original TT on the Playstation in 1997 (12th Birthday present) and soon picked up TTD on the PC.

22 years later I am still playing OTTD, having passed the habit on to my best mate and his girlfriend (Now wife) during a time sharing a flat and now my son.

In all that time I have still to see the benefit of building ships...

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG » 17 Aug 2019 02:38

I never had room in my place for a model train set, so looked for train based game to play on computer.

First had the DOS versions on 5 1/4" disks of Railway Tycoon and Transport Tycoon.

Thanks to many of the members of the forums several years ago I started to learn how to make my own add-ons (newgrf files).

Not sure if can make add-ons for the Railway Tycoons.

Here I am 64 years young and still enjoying it.
Soot Happens
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
AuzTrains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
AuzObjects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
AuzBridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
AuzStations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
AuzTracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
AuzSubwayStations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335

Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wuzzy » 18 Aug 2019 20:50

Well, for me, it's basically the Internet, and knowing of TTD.

Years ago, I found a CD of TTD lying around, not knowing what it is, and I gave it a try. It was a cool game and still is.
Then later, I found TTDPatch in the Internet and played around with all those crazy settings. I really loved that you can change every little parameter. I don't know how I found TTDPatch, I guess I was just browsing the Internet on anything TTD.
Eventually, OpenTTD came along and I've been following development ever since its very early days. I guess you just cannot not hear of OpenTTD when you used TTDPatch. And now look what it has become! :)

OpenTTD is such a great improvement over TTD.

I have been playing TTD/OpenTTD quite rarely and on and off. I do play a ton of other games. :P

Return to “General OpenTTD”