how does the pathfinder logic work?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Airtaxi Pilot
Engineer
Engineer

how does the pathfinder logic work?

Post by Airtaxi Pilot »

question to the developers.

What is the logic behind the pathfinder. I've noticed that some of my trucks/trains do not take the shortest route and then end up getting lost.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

The only thing I know is that trains will only take a route that leads to the destination, it may seem simple but is quite important. It means that if there is a quicker way to get there by not taking a direct route it will not be taken.
TinPau
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TinPau »

This is a great reason to use the Checkpoint stations. You can then get the train to tke a shorter or prefered route. Making it avoid busy stations or routes :D

TinPau
If the train falls off the track, do you want your money back ?? Yes, or no, or maybe...
School
Engineer
Engineer

Post by School »

TinPau wrote:This is a great reason to use the Checkpoint stations. You can then get the train to tke a shorter or prefered route. Making it avoid busy stations or routes :D

TinPau
It may be the best way to deal with that, but with depot -- it would always be buggy if you don't add a depot as a checkpoint.
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

I noticed when using the new pathfinding alogarithm the trains randomly take one of the available routes, while otherwise they just went straight over the fastest route.

This causes the trains to take a little longer on complex-multi-way networks, but also spreads out train-load evenly, ensuring that there are less trafic-jams...

I have it off, though, and just adjust my networks to accomodate heavy trafic...
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

all i want is that my trains take the fastest route, and the one that leads to their destination shurely..
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

then turn off the new pathfinding...

Return to “General OpenTTD”