New player.

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kr4g3n
Engineer
Engineer

New player.

Post by Kr4g3n »

Hi. New player here with a couple of questions...

I have downloaded the latest version and a bunch of newgrf files to get earlier vehicles etc, and things are going OK, but...

If I start a game before 1860, I get an error saying that oil wells cannot be placed.

If I place the terminal style stations in stead of drive through, horse drawn vehicles cannot serve them. Is this intentional?

Is there a GRF with steam goods transport? I can get steam buses inb1833.

Did anyone ever create a GRF with horse drawn canal barges?

If I have 2 trains running between 3 stations, can I make one an express by not ordering it to stop in the middle or will it stop there anyway unless I create a bypass track?
Last edited by Kr4g3n on 07 Jun 2019 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New player.

Post by jfs »

Kr4g3n wrote:If I place the terminal style stations in stead of drive through, horse drawn vehicles cannot serve them. Is this intentional?
Road stations I assume.
Horse drawn vehicles are typically made as articulated (two or more "chained" parts), and articulated vehicles can only use through stops. Road stations only support single-unit vehicles.
Kr4g3n wrote:If I have 2 trains running between 3 stations, can I make one an express by not ordering it to stop in the middle or will it stop there anyway unless I create a bypass track?
Use the non-stop order flag on both stops. It means "don't stop on any stations you happen to pass through on the way to this one".

I don't know about the rest of your questions.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kr4g3n wrote:If I start a game before 1860, I get an error saying that oil wells cannot be placed.
If you're not using a NewGRF industry set, default oil wells won't be available before 1930. The default timeline for OpenTTD is 1930-2050. You'll need to use a NewGRF industry set. I'm pretty certain FIRS will allow it, I think ECS Vectors will allow it. OpenGFX+ Industries (a re-coding of the default industries) may also support it. I'm not sure about other sets like Manual Industries II.
Kr4g3n wrote:Is there a GRF with steam goods transport? I can get steam buses inb1833.
Try eGRVTS 2. Maybe Polish Road Vehicles? I'm not sure on the last one.
Kr4g3n wrote:Did anyone ever create a GRF with horse drawn canal barges?
Not yet. There's not a "realistic" way to do so without employing some types of visual tricks (like horses walking on water when the vehicle has to turn around) and there's not a way to simulate all situations (for example, a canal with an expected height on the walls suddenly turning into river with flat land).
Kr4g3n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kr4g3n »

Thank you for the responses, it was the industry grf that was throwing me the error. The rest of the information has been helpful too.

I do have a couple more questions...

Is there a way to tone down the amount of production? Seems crazy that in a city of 1500 I have 4 bus stops with 900 passengers each at the start. Is there a way to divide that by 10 but keep the profits the same?

Also is there a way to stop primary resources being place on the opposite side of the map to the industries that need them?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Passenger and mail production levels are sort-of broken, the amounts produced explode as soon as a town begins growing past being a village. Here's a detailed discussion of the problem, and a new feature/option that changes this is included in the current development version (which will probably become version 1.10 at some point.)

Industry placement is supposed to be fully random, but an industry GRF can set rules for where an industry type may be placed, which can include "distance from other types of industries" and similar checks. So it may be that an industry GRF you're using only accepts connecting industries that are placed far apart.
Other than that, the only fix, sort-of, is to build a scenario with the industries hand-placed instead of generated.
Kr4g3n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kr4g3n »

Thank you, sorry for the total noob question, but the patches that are offered on that link are pieces of code.

How would I add them to the game?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Well you would need to set up a development environment, get the source code, make sure you can compile the unmodified game with all features, then get the patch to apply (which may not be clean and require manual edits/rewriting parts) and then compile it.

But I would instead suggest you try a nightly version later than March 4th (not a 1.9 version) since those already have it merged in. The current nightly build will have it.
Kr4g3n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kr4g3n »

Awesome, thank you!

Return to “General OpenTTD”