Station Layout

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sentinel203NL
Engineer
Engineer

Station Layout

Post by Sentinel203NL »

Hi all,

I built a station in a manner in which I knew it was going to cause problems but I wanted to try it anyway as I thought it would look cool :-)

I'm playing a FIRS game so I want to increase production in mines/farm etc. by delivering supplies. Only +/- 80 supplies are needed everything 3 months so I run a short supply train and I use long trains for the main cargo.
The goal I had was to have a little side-station for the supplies to be dropped off in while the main station is used for the main cargo (see screenshot)

Platform 1 is for the small train
Platform 2 is for the larger trains

You guessed what would happen. A length 7 train stuck in the length 3 platform blocking up everything. I tried to alleviate this by adding a way point but sometimes the large train still ends up in the small station.

Are there any other tricks besides waypoints to use?

PS - I thought of having the small station separate but I wanted to try it as one station if possible and use that as a backup solution.
Attachments
Untitled.png
(388.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Station Layout

Post by Eddi »

there are pathfinder penalties (only accessible through the console, because messing with these may screw your network) for "shorter platform" and "shorter platform per tile", you want to make sure that these are higher than the penalty for an occupied platform. (plus the path to that platform)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

You could place a waypoint adjacent to the short platform and route long trains through that, then they don't go to the short platform.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

What I have done in past if want a special train to only use a specific station is I hold down Ctrl key as I build the platform and allows you to give that platform a different name.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cmhbob »

There's a signaling patch in JGRPP that would help deal with this, I think. Programmable Signals
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere
syl59
Engineer
Engineer

Post by syl59 »

Two solutions :

Solution 1 :
Transportman wrote:You could place a waypoint adjacent to the short platform and route long trains through that, then they don't go to the short platform.
Solution 2 :
GarryG wrote:[...] hold down Ctrl key as I build the platform and allows you to give that platform a different name.
The small station is linked to the main station. I tend not to do that, as the small train may go to the big station and jam it a bit. I suggest you delete one piece of track, making it a terminus.

Hope this helps :)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 271 times
kiss
keep it simple, stupid

Return to “General OpenTTD”