YouTube Demo: What junctions do you use / recommend?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

YouTube Demo: What junctions do you use / recommend?

Post by Redirect Left »

Hey there!

I am currently preparing an OpenTTD game that I am going to use for a youtube demonstrate of junctions types, how to use them, the right signals and other such. But it needs prebuilding before I record the video.

Whilst doing it, it suddenly came to me, I always use the same junctions, basic 4ways with tunnels or bridges, and infrequently roundabout 4 ways. For three ways i always do what i'd call a basic merge, with tunnels to prevent crossovers where traffic is heavy, else i just do a crossover.

I am well aware of the more complex junctions, and how to do them, but it seems that may be unnecessary to try teaching to someone just getting into networks, and not point-to-point stuff.

So the simple question is, I have looked at what I do, and what the junctions on the wiki page is. But what sort of junctions do YOU do, and if someone came to you and asked you what a 'good junction' is for a new user who doesn't want to overcomplicate stuff, what would you recommend?

I've already covered stations, terminus, ro-ro, drive-thru & roro+terminus in one, so that bit is ready for when i record. Most junctions I have got done, but I may disregard some and redo them to 'better' ones for new people getting into the game.

I'm also doing this on an actual save I have been using, so i can demo junctions in their normal working state to demo efficiency and choke points, rather than just placing the track and describing without any traffic.

I'm hoping with demo videos, i can entice people to OpenTTD by showing how easy things are, when you know what you're doing. Phase 1: building a basic network with junctions and different station types.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: YouTube Demo: What junctions do you use / recommend?

Post by Eddi »

different play styles require different junctions. like a more realism-oriented playstyle vs. a pure efficiency playstyle

like, i rarely build junctions that are not next to a station
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I almost always use flying junctions or 3-way / 4-way cloverleaf junctions. Those are much better for the train flow, and it avoids maaaaany congestion incidents.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

Cool!

There just cannot be too much tutorial material for this game.

What is your YouTube ID?

Thanks!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Whatever you do, make sure to teach path signals as a strong preference and the default go-to for all signal purposes.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I mostly try to build realistically - so only flying junctions, never some really nifty loops. I used to do loops (cloverleaf, half cloverleaf, trumpets) when I played vanilla - it looks game-ish anyway - but since I used various NewGRF that brings a bit of realism into the game, I've mostly used directional flat junctions, only grade-separating when needed. I've also minimized terraforming since, but maintaining gentle slopes.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote:different play styles require different junctions. like a more realism-oriented playstyle vs. a pure efficiency playstyle

like, i rarely build junctions that are not next to a station
YNM wrote:I mostly try to build realistically - so only flying junctions, never some really nifty loops. I used to do loops (cloverleaf, half cloverleaf, trumpets) when I played vanilla - it looks game-ish anyway - but since I used various NewGRF that brings a bit of realism into the game, I've mostly used directional flat junctions, only grade-separating when needed. I've also minimized terraforming since, but maintaining gentle slopes.
If possible, do you have any screenshots of these types of junctions, or can link me to what it is called in the OpenTTD wiki of junctions.

I might make two videos, to demonstrate 'realistic' style vs 'openTTD practicality'. Given I am trying to aim this at people who are probably still using point-to-point networks, or are just looking at OpenTTD trains and going "what?", I'll probably stick with more simple ones for first video.

Info sourcing for video - bridges obviously have speed limits, varying too. Do tunnels have any speed limits, or is it just whatever the max of the train is A-OK? Just to add to junction explaiinng for bridges and tunnels.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Yeah, I am a big fan of a laid back building style and not overdoing it. Flat junctions with path signals early in the game when money is tight or traffic relatively quiet/slow speed, then flyover type junctions when it is busier. I do then grade separate a lot but tend to worry about keeping trains moving by avoiding conflicting movements rather than speed, so tend to design into the topography rather than to any pre-set design.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It's so difficult in OTTD to hit the "realistic junction" thing right, I feel, because everything's so sharp. If you look at "realistic junctions" in Transport Fever ... well, they look friggin' real! In OTTD you always get sharp corners and sharp gradients so what'll look good to one player as an approximation probably won't look so good for another ...

And you can really see that in the screenshot threads where everyone plays just that little bit differently; even if most people there do the same basic "PBS signal" junctions so in terms of signals and functions and such they are essentially all the same thing everybody kinda dresses them up differently ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Redirect Left wrote:Do tunnels have any speed limits, or is it just whatever the max of the train is A-OK? Just to add to junction explaiinng for bridges and tunnels.
tunnels don't have speed limits, but an increase in air resistance, which depending on train (GRF) used and game settings may lower the speed.

Return to “General OpenTTD”