Parallel rails?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Parallel rails?

Post by MarkShot »

I have been thinking about this a lot the last day or so.

* 2-n pairs of rails running parallel or 2-n rail same direction same side. In terms of the long hauls this looks like track load balancing is far easier and efficient; it can essentially be done at full speed. But then no less than Mr. TTD, Owen Rudge, himself shows all his examples with the former on his Web site, Junctions R Us.

* I see the value in none crossing junctions; multi-level. However, I wonder if the complexity of a junction with double inputs and outputs is worth it. Or would it just be simpler to diverge the parallel tracks and have two single input junctions. There is a lot of space on these OTTD maps on long hauls.

* Anyone ever do this. Start with a 4 track terminus as RoRo performance wasn't needed at the time, then later convert to RoRo by putting most of the out side underground to avoid the town council from BBQing you.

* I disabled 90 degree turns in OTTD-JGR as a concession to realism. What do you do. Also, Master Hellish in his videos makes a good point that tight multi-level junctions and long trains don't really mix; as the whole point is to keep everyone rolling.

Thoughts?

PS: Finally, I want to say that I resent the Town Council not permitting me to put up one way signs on their roads. I don't want to BOMB anything; just a little traffic discipline. Idiots, bribes are going to be smaller this year.

Thanks!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Parallel rails?

Post by acs121 »

MarkShot wrote:* I disabled 90 degree turns in OTTD-JGR as a concession to realism. What do you do. Also, Master Hellish in his videos makes a good point that tight multi-level junctions and long trains don't really mix; as the whole point is to keep everyone rolling.
It's not a matter of short or long trains, but of speed and effiency. My trains are always 3-tile for local trains, 5-tile for the majority of them (which is mainline) and 6-tile for high-speed trains. So for a local line that I want to run at full speed, I will have to put 3-tile track curves, 5-tile for mainlines and 6 (or 7) tiles for high-speed so that trains don't slow down.
I still have to use 3 or 2-tile curves sometimes on all types of lines (except high-speed) but never 1-tile - never do this one, it slows down trains too much - as I need to keep my trains at a good speed for them not to slow down others. That's how one also manages to have only cloverleaf or flying junctions, just like me.

Return to “General OpenTTD”