How can you run PPs and OTTD side by side?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

How can you run PPs and OTTD side by side?

Post by MarkShot »

They seem to all depend on the directory:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\OpenTTD

So, it seems to me you can only run one version, even though you have multiple installed.

Thanks.
kamnet

Re: How can you run PPs and OTTD side by side?

Post by kamnet »

On Widows, OpenTTD stores all of its shared documents in c:\Users\<username>\Documents\OpenTTD\

You can install multiple installations anywhere on your system, and it will share the sub-folders for various parts of the game from Documents (ai, newgrf, content_download, etc.).

For example, I store all of my OpenTTD installs on my Google Drive so I can share files across multiple PCs. My installs are stored in:
c:\Users\User\Documents\Google Drive\OpenTTD\<version number>\ Whatever version I run, it will pull all data from :\Users\User\Documents\OpenTTD\<whatever>\
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

I thought the CFG files are not compatible?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OpenTTD will look for a local configuration file first. If it doesn't find one there, then it will look in the global directory.

You can have separate configuration files in each installation directory, or you can delete it and OpenTTD will use the global one for all settings. If a particular installation is not able to use a configuration setting used by another installation, it will display an error and then ignore the setting.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

I have truly implemented two separate environments.

I mean that the user data is separated too.

This was done via scripting and the use of a junction (Windows redirection).

---

I tend to have a few games I like, and quite a few mods of them. So, this is fairly routine for me. Also, the footprint is really very small for this game compared to my TW stuff which weighs in at 30Gb an install.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm kind of the opposite, in a way. I like having everything together.

Basically what I've done is switched to storing everything on my Google Drive and then modifying each PC to pull it. I've replaced c:\users\<user>\Documents\OpenTTD\ with a simlink to c:\users\<user>\Google Drive\OpenTTD\ so that all shared content gets truly shared. I keep OpenTTD broken down between the main distribution (Official\) and forks (Forks\), and then each individual fork in it's own subfolder (JGRPP\, JokerPP\, etc) and then further broken down by version. I am also insane and I manage all my NewGRFs (including the ones I develop, and all their graphics and music) from within this folder as well.

My overall OpenTTD\ folder is around 11 GB, bu it's all right there on my Google Drive, and it only takes a few minutes to add a new PC and get it downloaded. My developmental workspace is all there, all consistent across all PCs. Any games I play, content I download, updates I make, all of it gets synced back up to my Google Drive within minutes, and within an hour I've got 3 PCs all 150+ miles away from each other updated and ready to play.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

Sounds like quite a sophisticated set up.

I usually program to add a lot of features to games that they didn't have.

Like complex hotkeys.

Snapshot taking which are time stamped and can easily be suffixed.

The ability to have a quicksave/quickload feature in games that don't support it like RT2; along with the last 10 quicksaves write at hand.

And finally in the case of OTTD and PPs isolated installs using Windows junctions to segregate the data.

---

Junction v1.06 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - http://www.sysinternals.com

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\OpenTTD: JUNCTION
Substitute Name: E:\Games\OTTD Data

---
SNAG-0007.jpg
SNAG-0007.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 162 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”