Town road layout

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

licondam
Engineer
Engineer

Town road layout

Post by licondam » 29 Mar 2019 09:01

Morning all!

It has been a while since I have played the game, but have decided to pick it up again.

I am looking to change the towns to 3x3 road layout but I can't find the economy tab in the settings after following the wiki instructions.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to do this.

Thanks

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Town road layout

Post by acs121 » 29 Mar 2019 10:51

By default, towns will use the "Original" road layout. This means non-monotonic grids.
Just saying, but don't even try using town grids. While it DOES make growth easier and you can also plan where the roads will go, it still looks ugly and can make building train infrastructure difficult.

rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog » 29 Mar 2019 17:22

At the top of the settings panel, there's an option to select which Category of options you want to see. Pick the Advanced or Expert option.

eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee » 01 Apr 2019 12:58

acs121 wrote:By default, towns will use the "Original" road layout. This means non-monotonic grids.
Just saying, but don't even try using town grids. While it DOES make growth easier and you can also plan where the roads will go, it still looks ugly and can make building train infrastructure difficult.
It's funny how different people work differently with the same tools. I found it made building train infrastructure much easier! :)) 7-square stations fit neatly alongside/within a 4x4 layout. Ditto for 5-square in 3x3. The straight roads make it trivial to run bridges into town center stations. Metro tunnels line up too; 7 squares allows 2 tunnel mouths, 2 signals, and a 3-square station.

I stopped having town grids because they were boring. :) Besides, my metro lines weren't good enough. The metro stations I built and served with NUTS highest-capacity train couldn't cope with the amount of passengers I got. I had to switch to the "unbalanced" instant-loading 2cc trams. Trams on a grid are no challenge at all. Hm... might start another grid/pax game because it's relaxing; the necessity of making tram/bus services (to keep towns happy) on interesting road layouts is just enough of a challenge to be annoying when I'm in the middle of something else.
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread

eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee » 01 Apr 2019 13:25

licondam wrote: I am looking to change the towns to 3x3 road layout but I can't find the economy tab in the settings after following the wiki instructions.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to do this.
I forgot to answer the actual question, sorry! I see it as: Spanner menu → Settings → World generation → Road layout for new towns. As per rowdog's instructions, you will have to change the category of settings to Advanced or higher.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 » 01 Apr 2019 15:45

eekee wrote:
acs121 wrote:By default, towns will use the "Original" road layout. This means non-monotonic grids.
It's funny how different people work differently with the same tools. I found it made building train infrastructure much easier! :)) 7-square stations fit neatly alongside/within a 4x4 layout. Ditto for 5-square in 3x3. The straight roads make it trivial to run bridges into town center stations. Metro tunnels line up too; 7 squares allows 2 tunnel mouths, 2 signals, and a 3-square station.

I stopped having town grids because they were boring. :) Besides, my metro lines weren't good enough. The metro stations I built and served with NUTS highest-capacity train couldn't cope with the amount of passengers I got. I had to switch to the "unbalanced" instant-loading 2cc trams. Trams on a grid are no challenge at all. Hm... might start another grid/pax game because it's relaxing; the necessity of making tram/bus services (to keep towns happy) on interesting road layouts is just enough of a challenge to be annoying when I'm in the middle of something else.
In my current game, I have disabled town road construction as it slows down town development (since a town would need to build buildings and roads). Plus, it would make my main city (see my screenshot thread) growing way too fast (it has 200k inhabitants) and be organised in a f'd-up way. Literally : you have the town center. Then, the city would sprawl more than any city in the U.S. would do. When you build roads yourself, you CAN control town growth, and decide which part you would develop, or which districts / boroughs you'd want to create.

eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee » 01 Apr 2019 18:23

I usually turn off town road building too.

By the way, it's Long Vehicles v4 that I use for trams, not 2CC so much.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 » 01 Apr 2019 19:21

Long vehicles ? Does it even provide trams, like on tram rails and all ? I don't think so...

eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee » 01 Apr 2019 20:36

acs121 wrote:Long vehicles ? Does it even provide trams, like on tram rails and all ? I don't think so...
fffffft! You're quite right, it's 2CC Tram Set 0.1.0-beta2.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 » 01 Apr 2019 20:53

Thought so too. Turns out to be the best tram set one could have - although they still haven't developed cargo trams yet... ;(
I might recode these to rail vehicles one day, but I'm not sure it's fitting with 90% of trains available for OpenTTD, as trams turn out to be extremely small.

eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee » 02 Apr 2019 16:42

Yeah, they would be too small.

I use HEQS for cargo trams, but I don't use cargo trams very much; mostly for diamonds. I did find some nice 2CC trams can be refitted to carry food.

Return to “General OpenTTD”