Monthly Dev Post - April 2019

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Monthly Dev Post - April 2019

Post by jfs »

eekee wrote:I'm... wondering... about the passsenger change. A year or two ago, I successfully got huge amounts of passengers transported. I did make some strange things at first, but once I added some realistically-sized trams, it was fine. Question: Will passenger supply grow as high as before, but slower? I'd be okay with that.
No, the pax production will be lower. The purpose specifically is to not make passenger counts be as large. It especially helps if you play with Cargo Distribution enabled.

Here's a graph of a simulation of the original and new methods, summing passenger production over 10 years of game time for various size houses. You can see the result for the largest houses (250 population) is about a quarter of the original.
Attachments
housecargogen.png
housecargogen.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee »

jfs wrote:No, the pax production will be lower. The purpose specifically is to not make passenger counts be as large. It especially helps if you play with Cargo Distribution enabled.
Ah, so this is what WoW players feel like when they complain about nerfing. ;) Will this break one of my favourite save games? Perhaps not, passenger counts have continued to rise in another game which I played from late 1.8 to the present. All the same, in new games, just when I'm starting to look from a challenge from passengers again, you say the challenge won't be there. I don't particularly want to go back to GRFs with trams having a fraction of the capacity of real-life trams and which take days to load. Of course, lots of trains are like that already.
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

eekee wrote:All the same, in new games, just when I'm starting to look from a challenge from passengers again, you say the challenge won't be there.
It's a setting. You can still have the old behaviour if you want it.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The default for new games is the new Linear method. The default for old savegames loaded is the original quadratic method.

I've also included a screenshot of a test game I made with some huge cities, cdist enabled, and a bus feeder to a long haul airline. There are 40 buses on the route around the city, and 18 aircraft (Dinger 1000) flying across the map. The situation is similar at the other end. If there were more than two cities in the network, the passenger amounts everywhere would likely be even greater.
Attachments
openttd_2019-04-07_11-17-17.png
openttd_2019-04-07_11-17-17.png (24.51 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
openttd_2019-04-07_11-20-42.jpg
openttd_2019-04-07_11-20-42.jpg (435.97 KiB) Viewed 150 times
eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee »

I'm sorry again, especially for my memory. I just hunted for the non-optional exploit fix, and found it was neither of these things. The non-optional fix is one I agree with, the station catchment area shape fix. I always expected it to work in the way in which it now does, so, barring mistakes, all of my old games should be fine with it. :) (Described in April)
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread

Return to “General OpenTTD”