Question about passenger delivery

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DrFreakazoid
Engineer
Engineer

Question about passenger delivery

Post by DrFreakazoid »

I have a question about the mechanics of passenger delivery with CargoDist enabled. I have a rail network running between two large cities. Halfway between both cities, my trains (DMUs) stop at a very small town (population < 200). If I look at the passengers waiting at the stations of the large cities, obviously most passengers (> 200) are waiting to get to the other large city, but I always have one or two passengers waiting to go to the small town. And this is where it gets odd. The passengers waiting to go to the small town are picked up by my trains, but are almost never delivered to the small town (very occassionaly, passengers are delivered, but almost always my trains don't generate revenue when arriving in the station of the small town). Instead, it appears that these passengers are delivered to the large city (all passengers leave the train when it arrives in one of the large cities).

I don't think this is a bug, because the small town still acts as if it receives passengers (it grows), which it very occassionaly does. So I think that it has to do with the passenger delivery mechanics.

Clearly this is not a big problem at all, but it bugs me tremendously because I can't figure it out :)

So if anyone can explain why these passengers are not always delivered to their destination, I would really appreciate it!
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Question about passenger delivery

Post by Wahazar »

Cargodist is tracking, where passengers are willing to travel, thus if given train is filled up with passengers going to big city, all would go to the big city.
DrFreakazoid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DrFreakazoid »

McZapkie wrote:Cargodist is tracking, where passengers are willing to travel, thus if given train is filled up with passengers going to big city, all would go to the big city.
Thank you for your answer. If I understand what you are saying correctly, you think that the trains don't have passengers in them going to the small town and because of this nobody gets of in the small town. My problem is that some of the passengers have their destination set as the small town, not the big city, but still travel to the big city. I have been monitoring the trains and every train contains at least one passenger going to the small town (a typical train contains about 150 passengers going to the big city and 2 passengers going to the small town), but only one train in twenty actually delivers passengers to the small town. This is what is bugging me, that the trains behave in an (for me) unpredictable way. I assume it has something to do with the mechanics of passenger delivery (maybe passengers can change their destination after boarding a train? I really don't know). Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

DrFreakazoid wrote: Thank you for your answer. If I understand what you are saying correctly, you think that the trains don't have passengers in them going to the small town and because of this nobody gets of in the small town.
Yes, it may be a cause (if train capacity is less than pax waiting, it may load only pax to big city).
Otherwise you spot a bug.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Also, you should check what are your passenger distribution settings. If it's on asymmetrical, you should switch on to symmetrical. It will help balance passengers between the three stations.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

acs121 wrote:Also, you should check what are your passenger distribution settings. If it's on asymmetrical, you should switch on to symmetrical. It will help balance passengers between the three stations.
So how exactly would that help in balancing?

If you connect a big town and a small town, you'll get (mostly) equally many passengers in both directions. Since the small town can't provide many passengers, your train will mostly be empty.

Personally, I consider symmetrical a cheat. You get full trains in both directions for free instead of having to work for it.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

But doesn't it just makes sense? It's weird if more passengers go from A to B than from B to A. A would soon run out of people :?
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I thought the idea of symmetrical was to simulate return journeys - but maybe that's my folly.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Alberth wrote:
acs121 wrote:Also, you should check what are your passenger distribution settings. If it's on asymmetrical, you should switch on to symmetrical. It will help balance passengers between the three stations.
So how exactly would that help in balancing?

If you connect a big town and a small town, you'll get (mostly) equally many passengers in both directions. Since the small town can't provide many passengers, your train will mostly be empty.

Personally, I consider symmetrical a cheat. You get full trains in both directions for free instead of having to work for it.
In his case, there are 3 points. A is a big town. B is a small town. C is another big town. So his trains do A-B-C. Thanks to symmetrical passenger distribution, it will balance passenger numbers between the two big towns and balance these numbers with the other towns.

Return to “General OpenTTD”