Open TTD is actually easier than the original game - why?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

defaultluser
Engineer
Engineer

Open TTD is actually easier than the original game - why?

Post by defaultluser »

On the original game, putting it on Hard and playing the tropics has always been a pain. It takes you a minim of ten years to establish yourself (i.e pay off loan completely), and ten more years to hit the million dollar mark, even if you are perfect.

But in OpenTTD, the availability of many cheaper engines cuts your train costs in half. You can buy a whole train for $45000 that costs 80000 in the original.

Is there any way to adjust the vehicle costs, or to change the train set back to the original? I checked here, but found nothing, aside from what is (supposed) to give me the same difficulty.

https://wiki.openttd.org/Difficulty

I'm getting bored being a millionaire before 1960. I don't care that my opponents can't keep up, this is just for me. I love the improved build system and better stability of Open TTD, so I would appreciate a solution.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Open TTD is actually easier than the original game - why?

Post by jfs »

I tried setting up a Hard game in unpatched TTD DOS, and replicating the same settings as close as possible in OpenTTD 1.9.0-RC1. The primary difference I see here is reliability, which I'm not sure why differs.
Constructing 10 tiles of straight rail in the desert also has the same cost, £1570.

However, I think many of the conveniences of OpenTTD can make the game easier even with all costs the and such the same.
dosbox_x64_2019-03-09_10-51-13.png
dosbox_x64_2019-03-09_10-51-13.png (101.91 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
openttd_2019-03-09_10-53-28.png
openttd_2019-03-09_10-53-28.png (88.91 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

In my experience, one of the larger influencing factors on difficulty is the map size. Did you compare with the same map size, that is 256^2? The longer distance you can transport stuff, the easier it is to make money.
defaultluser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by defaultluser »

I finally figured this out.

Train sets are configured under NewGRF, added "Original Vehicle Names" and now have original vehicle prices/performance.

It's a little confusing figuring out that configuration menu. Do you think you could change the option from "NewGRF Settings" to "Train Settings?" I guarantee I would have checked into that menu before posting here.

Also, it might be a good idea to include "Original Vehicle Names" as one of the default sets. It's not like 8kb is all that large, and it would save people the trouble of digging through mountains of options.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

The original vehicles are the only vehicles included with the game, no add-on is needed to use them.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
defaultluser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by defaultluser »

peter1138 wrote:The original vehicles are the only vehicles included with the game, no add-on is needed to use them.
I'll agree that in the past this was true. I've been playing the game on-and-off for a decade now, and because the default rail set is included I never had to figure out the NewGRF menu until today.

But theOpenTTD 1.8 I downloaded earlier this week, the default train set is

US Train Set version 0.87.4 (27 Apr 2007)

And the only other included options are:
UKRS2
UKRS2+
BROS

That sounds like a bug to me.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Those are not the defaults. There are NO add-on vehicle sets included with the game. You may have had some old config from a previous install, or perhaps you downloaded an unofficial version of OpenTTD.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
defaultluser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by defaultluser »

peter1138 wrote:Those are not the defaults. There are NO add-on vehicle sets included with the game. You may have had some old config from a previous install, or perhaps you downloaded an unofficial version of OpenTTD.
Ahh, that's it.

I just installed it on a new machine it's never been installed on before, and the default train set is the only one included.

Thanks folks!

Return to “General OpenTTD”