Inflexible platform routing into stub station

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Inflexible platform routing into stub station

Post by trainrover »

This bonus pair of screenshots reveal (1) an example of my service centres - which do indeed experience periods of peak usage - and (2) the termini enveloping what I wish would bounce back as the chief city of my game.

Attachments
Service centre made from a trio of three dépôts.
Service centre made from a trio of three dépôts.
6LB_2 new.png (505.12 KiB) Viewed 846 times
capital.png
Company town
(8.98 MiB) Not downloaded yet
bbone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bbone »

I'm interested in your terminus station

Here what I tried to do to be the more efficient possible.

French player but fair
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

^^^ Your terminus certainly does indeed seem to perform far better than my own ones do; however, its appearance seems too industrious for my liking..plus I couldn't bring myself to penalising my services with negotiating bends among such flyovers, etc.

I haven't yet compiled a video that contrasts my (sticky) termini without any waypoint versus their liberated states with waypoints a-deployed. I've put together another that merely reveals how my big stations are currently functioning. Again, my new waypoints herald wholly new thrills for me 🍺

https://youtu.be/FVIsHb-wGeQ

Last edited by trainrover on 25 Apr 2020 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

trainrover wrote: 24 Apr 2020 00:28 This game is my 2nd tryout of this scenario. I deleted my first tryout by accident a short while after posting those screenshots from the last decade.

Anyhow - tadum! - here I proudly present my first-ever 'lesson' in its form of a youtube video..whew! demanding work 🍺

https://youtu.be/mAcA_zpKauo

There's merely a single, mild oversight I've committed in my compiled, introductory 'lesson', nothing that cannot be reconciled in the description over there 🍺
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

The following Volume 2 isn't fully satisfying either, hence I'm now compelled to compile a third and hopefully-last one!
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I wonder if you actually need such large stations. Just how many trains visit the largest one? How many of them have a full load order at that station?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Kevo00 wrote: 22 Dec 2018 22:04 If it's a terminus and you have path signals coming into the station throat, you don't need them on the platforms.

You can probably simplify that layout somewhat too!
As this person said a year and a half ago: at a terminus station you don't need the signals in front of the platforms.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

odisseus wrote: 27 Apr 2020 06:14 I wonder if you actually need such large stations. Just how many trains visit the largest one? How many of them have a full load order at that station?
With such a large city these are probably too small stations. This is unlikely to serve everyone, but does performance always have to be the most important? :) For me, yes ...: / That's why I can't build like that, but it's nice to see such a different building culture.

trainrover, could you put a save from this game? It would be nice to see the whole thing without a guide.;)
Korenn wrote: 29 Apr 2020 14:52 As this person said a year and a half ago: at a terminus station you don't need the signals in front of the platforms.
However, this signaling is sometimes useful. With proper use, you can slightly increase the capacity of such stations.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

LaChupacabra wrote: 29 Apr 2020 15:43trainrover, could you put a save from this game? It would be nice to see the whole thing without a guide.;)
With pleasure 🍺
trainrover wrote: 30 Apr 2020 00:10 Feedback entertained.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=211526&s ... c083133c85

Cheers 🍺
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Korenn wrote: 29 Apr 2020 14:52
Kevo00 wrote: 22 Dec 2018 22:04 If it's a terminus and you have path signals coming into the station throat, you don't need them on the platforms.

You can probably simplify that layout somewhat too!
As this person said a year and a half ago: at a terminus station you don't need the signals in front of the platforms.
Were I to try that, then any departure would arrest its station throat, causing all other activity therein to become seized 🍺
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

trainrover wrote: 30 Apr 2020 00:26 There's an omission I committed in Volume 2 above ^^^ so I'm releasing a third volume, as follows:

https://youtu.be/UVBoAZu5b5g
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Korenn wrote: 29 Apr 2020 14:52 at a terminus station you don't need the signals in front of the platforms.
That's not entirely true. If you don't place the two-way signal facing the platform, any train facing the platform exit will reserve a path all the way to the next signal, even when it isn't moving. Normally this doesn't happen in a terminus station, but if you accidentally reverse a train that's waiting for a full load, it can block the entire station. Better to place those signals unless space is at a premium.
terminus-signals.png
terminus-signals.png (25.92 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

odisseus wrote: 01 May 2020 03:05 That's not entirely true. If you don't place the two-way signal facing the platform, any train facing the platform exit will reserve a path all the way to the next signal, even when it isn't moving. Normally this doesn't happen in a terminus station, but if you accidentally reverse a train that's waiting for a full load, it can block the entire station. Better to place those signals unless space is at a premium.
That's such a niche situation, it doesn't make sense to build for it. If you accidentally reverse the train, all you have to do is reverse it again to clear the path.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

^^^ I too had replied you that even having departures seize my station throats would dissatisfy me 🍺
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I'm not going to die in a ditch haha but I do tend to favour realistic looking flat junctions at terminus stations for passenger services, and find they work well without path signals at the platform. I find it clears the platforms faster for incoming trains.

I don't set my passenger trains to wait for full load as it slows down cargo delivery speed. If I have a very busy freight station I tend to make it ro-ro.

Edit: Great network by the way!
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

^^^ Cheers 🍺 thank you.

When resurrecting the network at the end of winter, I decided to pad it with ::gasp:: activity so that I could show off any of its action in videos. Inserting groups of trains, buses, ships and planes seem endless now nearly two months later. Yet I blush to myself when my screen happens to record days' upon days' worth of - say - vacant four-tracking!! :oops:

Many waypoints have now been created and used. Pathfinder seldom gums up if you will, although I did recently observe an instance whereby a train group had its maiden voyage become sticky when its path was fouled by some other train racing alongside, in that it took a few seconds to readjust to freed alternate paths toward the corresponding waypoint closeby.

trainrover wrote: 05 May 2020 14:36

https://youtu.be/bAFmn5IVHHI

trainrover wrote: 05 May 2020 14:41

https://youtu.be/yBOjcHZByjk

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

LaChupacabra wrote: 29 Apr 2020 15:43trainrover, could you put a save from this game? It would be nice to see the whole thing without a guide.;)
;)
trainrover wrote: 05 May 2020 15:33 About half a dozen flaws (mostly risky ones too) have been lifted, so here I now offer its 'clean' replacement.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=211701&a ... c7eebc2b77

Feedback entertained as always! 🍺
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

I admit that Your network is impressive and I'm even surprised that these stations manage to transport all passengers. :)
What saddens me about such saves is that the construction of such networks is general pointless for me. :( Currently in OTTD there is no economic justification for the construction of such extensive networks. A few years ago with Milek7 we created the New World Disorder script, which was to, among other things, give the sense of building extensive network connections. It works. Not quite as it was intended, but still cities with many intercity connections and innercity transport are developing better than those with only AB connections. However, the construction of such simple connections is still more profitable than the construction of networks. Changing this would require changes not so much in the script as in the cargodist itself or at least how the station was evaluated...
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

^^^ Cheers 🍺 thank you. Without much fiddling around with either my expert settings or game options, I find town/city newGRFs wield the biggest influence on passenger volumes. Having played with (quote unquote) NA Cities newGRF, I overbuilt this network from its outset only to gradually discover that the British total town replacement set that I had supplant its original, generic housing spawns barely one half the population. Financial activity out in life itself merely mirrors - for me - mastery of conning others, anyhow. Watching the ongoing trashing of economies currently all around us is just the prescription of history repeating itself, only this time around it's truly on a worldwide scale, ain't it. That said, I'm bussing riders to my starved stations to appease my game's silliest of bookkeepers ;)

I shall first trial the script you're mentioning when trying out (as in dabbling in) OTTD scripts 🍺
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

trainrover wrote: 08 May 2020 17:45 I shall first trial the script you're mentioning
For the script to work for communication elements, the cargodist setting for passengers and mail must be enabled (symmetrical or asymmetrical mode). As for the element of electricity, it has not been completed and doesn't work - the value is always 100%.

Return to “General OpenTTD”