How Long Are Grudges Held?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

How Long Are Grudges Held?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The Trudhattan & Frinford Railroad was started in 1929 with the aim of providing passenger service between those cities.Construction all the way to Frinford quickly proved unaffordable and within months service was inaugurated to Treedburg Bay.
The necessary earthmoving made the company's reputation in both places Poor,but it recovered steadily in Trudhattan and has remained Outstanding there since about 1937...while in Treedburg Bay it never rose past Mediocre.

Once debt had been retired,construction extending the vestigial spur toward Frinford resumed,and it was after such work in 1947-48 (which moved the tracks AWAY from the populated areas of Treedburg Bay,mind you,opening up land for them)
that the company reputation sank to Appalling in 1947-48...and it has remained there for seven years,even as new construction has moved well past their local authority's reach.

Over in Frinford,where work was undertaken only in 1929 (levelling a station site by cutting away a slope,and then planting trees there when the locals got too angry to let it be built) my reputation is still Mediocre.

I could have improved the Treedburg Bay station if they had let me,raised the level and moved it a tile closer.If they don't like me,I'll just discontinue service there entirely once the more lucrative Frinford route is opened...but that will take careful timing
to make sure that completion of the connection is allowed,and maintenance expenses increase without return as the line extends.

Just how long are grudges held?
Attachments
Trudhattan&FrinfordR.R.Co.,14thNov1955.sav
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How Long Are Grudges Held?

Post by acs121 »

Grudges last 6 months normally. That's not this long compared to game scale.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So are my trains not running frequently enough to raise the Treedburg Bay opinion?
(There's always demand for service at the Trudhattan end,but more trains would be virtually dead-heading back given the low demand at Treedburg Bay).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

run a bus service through the city, that's the quickest way to recover from grudges. (preferably before you flatten land for the station/tracks, which may disallow station construction due to low rating)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is Treedburg Bay big enough that bus service makes any sense?

I finally got through to Frinford,which now gets the high capacity trains and pays a lot more for passengers as well as producing more.
They don't like me there either but it's too early to tell how long that will stay true.
Attachments
Trudhattan&FrinfordR.R.Co.,1stApr1959.sav
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Is Treedburg Bay big enough that bus service makes any sense?
that is never the right question.

a bus service is also the quickest way to make a town grow.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

You don't have any unserviced or underserviced stations in the area, do you?

From the Wiki article referenced by Andy above:
Rating goes down by 15 for each station that has not transferred cargo in the last 50 days
I've been bitten by this quite a few times.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Eddi wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:Is Treedburg Bay big enough that bus service makes any sense?
that is never the right question.

a bus service is also the quickest way to make a town grow.
Never?
So a town that consists of one house will grow if a bus service starts going from one side of it to the other?

Treedburg Bay won't let me redevelop the station,as noted,and only the two oldest of my six trains still stop there...
my rep in Frinford has already recovered to Poor...I think TB will be targeted for closure in the future.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So a town that consists of one house will grow if a bus service starts going from one side of it to the other?
yes.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

For the record,when the Treedburg Bay trains were older than their design life and blocked the Frinford trains with their breakdowns,I scrapped them and closed the station.My reputation there as of 1969 has not budged from Appalling,while in Frinford it got up to Excellent before I knocked it down to Good by removing more mountainside to extend platforms.I suppose the TB citizens might have been upset that I never offered freight service to their forest,now gone (as is the Sendton forest by the tunnels to Trudhattan,which in the early days I had to run trains next to though it was four tiles above the latest tunnels).To compensate in scoring for removing that infill station I found one of the world's most productive forests,very close to another forest,and opened a station with both forests in its catchment with a line to a sawmill (uncharacteristically going deep into debt to build & equip this line,though the debt has now been paid off...annual company revenue is in the 2 mil range).The engines pulling the passenger trains proved a bad match for the freight job and I selected a better model,but things are looking good,no thanks to Treedburg Bay.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

just to reiterate this:

grudges are not "held" for that long, what you experience is that you (unknowingly?) continue to do things that offend them, but you won't notice them because you were fixed on that one thing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Things towns dislike: Destroying trees near the town, demolishing town buildings, demolishing town-owned roads, having stations sitting around unused.

Things towns do like: Having well-serviced stations near the town center.

They don't as such care about moving earth around and leveling mountains, but since doing that often means lots of trees are destroyed, it will cost your reputation to flatten land for a route. For that reason, it's a good idea to build your stations first, even if they will be in sub-optimal places, and only improve the layout later when you have built an excellent reputation with the town.
(And a bus route in a town with a single house generally won't work, since the stops won't be accepting passengers.)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it does, if you use unload orders. just has to be 1 piece of cargo loaded or unloaded to count as a serviced station
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Of course the way to get a station near the town center is to demolish town roads or structures in the way...

When I started the game (1929) I built the station in Trudhattan,and levelled land (removing a chunk of wooded mountainside) to build the Frinford station,but they were so mad they wouldn't let me build the station though I planted trees on the site in the meantime.
So I fell back on Treedburg Bay,which was located en route.My usual action on starting a game is to find the largest city,put my headquarters and a rail station there,and then connect it to a community of significant size at a reasonable distance.Treedburg Bay,though convenient,was small,and never produced many passengers,and the steep slopes going back to Trudhattan were an issue,especially for my initially-used King Arthur engines.Only slowly was I able to gentle the slopes of the route and it was all on the backs of the hundreds heading from Trudhattan and not the dozens at most going back.Now that I have service running to Frinford I am taking in much more money and I just have to have the rate of service that produces the most passengers.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Of course the way to get a station near the town center is to demolish town roads or structures in the way...
again, this is a thing you did in the past, which will have faded from the town's memory at some point. it is not a thing currently and continuously affecting the town rating
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

I kinda envy Baldy's Boss, his openttd sounds so much more interesting than mine :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”