The real problem with making NewGRFs...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

The real problem with making NewGRFs...

Post by SimYouLater »

I have come to the conclusion that the problems we keep having are due to one thing...

People are making NewGRFs for personal gain. By this, I of course don't mean money, but rather "merit".

"I made this NewGRF everyone uses, I should have a bigger say in how the community is run."

This is what is poisoning our community, the idea that creating NewGRFs gives you greater privilege. The moment that someone realizes that their NewGRFs do not give them superiority, they tend to try and bully the community into doing what they want under threat of impeding backwards-compatibility.

If backwards-compatibility is really the foundation of OpenTTD, this needs to stop. When you make a NewGRF, you are giving a gift to the community, and a gift given with the expectation of receiving something in return isn't a gift, it's a bribe. This doesn't mean the code has to be GPL v2, but it does mean the NewGRF itself is unconditionally made available forever the moment you post it online for people to download. The entire reason we do what we do is because we want to see this community thrive, not to inflate our own egos, and it is not okay to take your ball and go home when, for all intents and purposes, that ball no longer belongs to you.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
kamnet

Re: The real problem with making NewGRFs...

Post by kamnet »

It's interesting... you complain about the idea that creating NewGRF's gives you the idea you can tell the rest of the community how to operate, but in your next paragraph you turn right around and tell the community how things should be ran. You really just need to let this go. It's not healthy for you and nobody is going to be sympathetic towards you while you continue to raise a fuss about it.

If you feel so strongly about NewGRFs as you do, then your solution going forward is to create works that you feel the community deserves to have. Yes, somebody did an awful thing and configured their NewGRF so it's no longer compatible with yours. You can do something about that. You can create a similar NewGRF that doesn't have those restrictions and give the community a choice. Nobody will think of you any worse for doing so.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

SimYouLater wrote:I have come to the conclusion that the problems we keep having are due to one thing...
You're talking nonsense.

This community would be much better if you just stopped posting.

OpenTTD is just cartoon vehicles. It doesn't need these internet dramas.
Dave

Post by Dave »

andythenorth wrote:It doesn't need these internet dramas.
Quite.

I’m not sure this is a healthy rabbit hole to go down, so I’m going to lock this for now.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “General OpenTTD”