OpenTTD to teach Industrial Revolution?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sportsfan1015
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD to teach Industrial Revolution?

Post by sportsfan1015 »

Good morning, all.

Long-time fan/player, first-time poster.

I am a History teacher in an all-boys school. Next year, one of my classes is Year 9 (15 year olds) History, and a big focus is on the Industrial Revolution.

I want to spice it up a bit and get them involved in OpenTTD, particularly to help demonstrate the transitional period of the 'Revolution'. My only concern is that perhaps there isn't enough of this stuff in the vanilla version of the game, especially as if you put the date back before 1925... there are no vehicles!

Any suggestions on mods, GRF, and scenarios that would add to the realism would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sportsfan1015
kamnet

Re: OpenTTD to teach Industrial Revolution?

Post by kamnet »

FIRS 3.0.10 may be the closest that you get in regards to that, but it doesn't follow any particular historical trends or do so with any accuracy. Any pre-1900s industries that it provides is mostly because it looks good and is fun to play. OpenTTD isn't designed for what you're wanting to do, and attempts to make OpenTTD more "realistic" often depend on individuals choosing to engage in a particular style of play and by setting their own rules rather than anything enforced by the game itself.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

sportsfan1015 wrote:Good morning, all.

Long-time fan/player, first-time poster.

I am a History teacher in an all-boys school. Next year, one of my classes is Year 9 (15 year olds) History, and a big focus is on the Industrial Revolution.

I want to spice it up a bit and get them involved in OpenTTD, particularly to help demonstrate the transitional period of the 'Revolution'. My only concern is that perhaps there isn't enough of this stuff in the vanilla version of the game, especially as if you put the date back before 1925... there are no vehicles!

Any suggestions on mods, GRF, and scenarios that would add to the realism would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sportsfan1015
The EGRVTS road vehicles and SQUID ships go back to 1700 and the UKRS and NARS trainsets at least go back to the advent of rails in the second quarter of the 19th century.
However,the oil wells and electric power plants and the transmission towers are there no matter how far back you go...some anachronisms are unavoidable.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I did consder making FIRS more historically accurate for industrial revolution, but OpenTTD is really about transport, not industries. It handles industrial transitions badly. :)

FIRS Steeltown economy is moderately accurate for the steelmaking process, if that's any help :wink:
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... #steeltown

Return to “General OpenTTD”