Eliminated train signals

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ThomasA
Engineer
Engineer

Eliminated train signals

Post by ThomasA »

I used to be a very active TTD and OpenTTD player in my younger days, but have not played it for several years now. I decided it was time to check it out again. On the OpenTTD website, the release note for v. 1.8.0 says:
Unfortunately due to new improvements in Toyland environment, we ran out of room in the map array, so we have chosen to eliminate train signals.
This worried me quite a lot. I mean, what fun would OpenTTD be without train signals? Disaster - this completely ruins the game! Anyways, I installed the new version and much to my surprise, there does seem to be train signals in the game (I have built them but not played it enough yet to see if they actually work).
So, what is this supposed to mean? The train signals even seem to offer quite a lot more features than "back in the day" when I played OpenTTD a lot.

Thomas
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Eliminated train signals

Post by Alberth »

We seem to be removing some functionality with every release. However, so far all disappeared functionality magically seems to continue working as normal, so it may be less bad than the note says.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Alberth wrote:We seem to be removing some functionality with every release. However, so far all disappeared functionality magically seems to continue working as normal, so it may be less bad than the note says.
Tut tut. ;)

To be a little less opaque: the release date for major versions of OpenTTD is always April 1st. The accompanying blog post is a joke.
ThomasA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ThomasA »

Ah, OK. That had not seeped in yet :oops:

Return to “General OpenTTD”