The future of OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

The future of OpenTTD?

Post by ProDigit »

Initially, I wanted to write you guys, to see if there's a way to play OpenTTD on an administrator locked PC.
Our work PC does not allow for any programs to be installed.
And, occasionally we have free time available, where which I'd love to spend sniffing some of that old TTD nostalgia!

So I initially wanted to write you, to see if there's any executable available, that just runs by itself, without installation on such a pc.

However,
As I was thinking about it,
Nowadays, there are a lot of games that just run from the browser.
So my question would be,
How viable would you think it be, if OpenTTD would, in the future, be able to be ran from a browser?
PNDA_
Engineer
Engineer

Re: The future of OpenTTD?

Post by PNDA_ »

ProDigit wrote: So I initially wanted to write you, to see if there's any executable available, that jus runs by itself, without installation on such a pc.
You could just download the .zip which is available. Then no Admin Perms are needed to run it :)
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

There is apparently also a very outdated version of OpenTTD that can be played online.
ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ProDigit »

vrn wrote:There is apparently also a very outdated version of OpenTTD that can be played online.
:shock: :shock: NICE!!
:D

It seems not to be so old, it has the newer tree algorithm, and plenty of options not found on the original TTD.
I don't care if it's a bit outdated.
I would be interested to see how much work it would be to take this website, and adjust it to load a modern version of OpenTTD on it.

A third option, would be to create a modern OpenTTD game in a ZIP file (like exists), and a compatible HTML, that would run the game locally (or if possible in RAM from ZIP).
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

You can simply copy your OpenTTD Document Folder to the document Folder on your Office PC and the OpenTTD Programm Folder on your Desktop at the Office and it will run just fine.
I tried this out and with changing the directory for the documents folder in the config file you can run openttd even from a USB Stick without copieng anyrhing to your PC at the Office (I tried this in school and it worked with all GRFs) YOu even could play OPenTTD only with this USB so you have sour savegames wherever a 64Bit Windows PC is
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You can also drop in an online shared folder (DropBox, box.com, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.) and run it from there, if that's permissible on your PC.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

BW89 wrote:You can simply copy your OpenTTD Document Folder to the document Folder on your Office PC and the OpenTTD Programm Folder on your Desktop at the Office and it will run just fine.
I tried this out and with changing the directory for the documents folder in the config file you can run openttd even from a USB Stick without copieng anyrhing to your PC at the Office (I tried this in school and it worked with all GRFs) YOu even could play OPenTTD only with this USB so you have sour savegames wherever a 64Bit Windows PC is
Actually best option. Get it on an USB stick, then run OpenTTD. There are tons of problems with that older version : graphics are original TTD (except if that's what you want, not much people want this), the music is also original TTD, and you cannot install anything from the Online Content such as NewGRFs. Not that i think it's vital to play with, but i hardly find myself playing without at least one.

So grab yourself an USB stick, and play at work ;)
ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ProDigit »

Thanks for the tips!
I have created a nuclear wasteland level, perhaps one day I'll share it here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Back in high school I use to run OpenTTD from a flash drive by placing the contents of "My Documents/OpenTTD/" into the same folder where the OpenTTD.exe file was.

Basically you should have your saves, scenarios, newgrfs and online_content along with your openttd.cfg along side your OpenTTD.exe which will allow OpenTTD to run as a portable game.

When you have the openttd.cfg and Openttd.exe together in the same folder, the game will run in portable/local mode and all saves, scenarios, grfs, etc will be loaded from folders int he same directory as the openttd.exe So you can bring all your files with you.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “General OpenTTD”