Route oddness

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Route oddness

Post by ccomley »

I have a four-platform station with the same entry/exit design I usually use to minimise the times when trains have to wait for each other.

Except on this occasion, trains are NOT using Platform 1 - see screenshot you can see the train entering at the bottom is crossing to the next platform despite the one in front being vacant. They won't use P1 even if the other three are in use.

I've stared and stared and can't see what I'm missing. Gwan, spot what I can't and de-misery me! :-)
plat1.PNG
plat1.PNG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 397 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Route oddness

Post by Quast65 »

I am guessing here, but is this the case?
Example490.png
Example490.png (479.95 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
Are the two bottom tracks one-way, so that trains can only enter from those (green arrows) and the two top ones one-way exit-only (red arrows)?
If that is the case then I think you are missing some extra tracks that I have drawn in orange.
Looking at the tracks of your picture I can only see tracks going from platform-1 to both lower tracks, but there is no possibility to get to the two upper tracks, thus maybe the pathfinder wont direct trains to platform-1 as they cant get out from that anymore…

But again, I am guessing here ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

I see what you mean but no. Lines 1 and 3 are "in", 2 and 4 are "out". Here's what it looks like outside the station. It's the layout I always use. Adapts to six-plat stations easily, bit cumbersome on anything bigger...
plar2.PNG
plar2.PNG (307.74 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
The idea is that trains can come in to any platform even if a train is leaving any other platform. And every other station I used it on has worked. And then I suddenly noticed a train waiting at the path signal here and yet P1 was empty and subsequent playing has not managed to persuade anything to go in there.

I checked the signal - it's correct for allowing trains in and then "path" for out.
Track is there, and runs to the end of the station (how could it not? But I checked anyway) and is Maglev track!
The cross-over in front of the signals is all there, i.e. there IS a "straight on" path in to that platform. (and out, though past experience has shown that a train WILL enter a platform and only later find out it can't exit again if that were wrong!)

Most odd!!
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

OK that's weird.

I eventually decided to remove the platform. I used teh Station tool with "erase" and removed JUST that one platform. Left the track. Then immediately re-created the platform. The graphics can't cope with this so I now have the bizzare effect of the next platform having half a canopy! Anyway, a train went RIGHT into the newly (re)created platform. So there must've been something it didn't like, GOK what. Note the station was originally created as a 4 track 9 square in one click, not bits at a time.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Johneddy008 wrote:informative post
:)

Here's how you do it for six plats.
plat3.PNG
plat3.PNG (699.22 KiB) Viewed 397 times
You can also use tunnels instead of bridges but it's a bit more fiddly to set out.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

And here adapted for twin tracks in and out. This isn't quite as smiple in practice, you either need to make sure trains from the south "in" track only use the south three platforms, and north to north, or else you still get the occasional "crossing" train holding up others.
plat4.PNG
plat4.PNG (708.75 KiB) Viewed 397 times
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Alternatively, we're in 2018. Path based signals are your friends.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

SquireJames wrote:Alternatively, we're in 2018. Path based signals are your friends.
It utterly depends on path signals to work. But it also provides *paths* for the signals to signal access to!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

ccomley wrote:OK that's weird.

I eventually decided to remove the platform. I used teh Station tool with "erase" and removed JUST that one platform. Left the track. Then immediately re-created the platform. The graphics can't cope with this so I now have the bizzare effect of the next platform having half a canopy! Anyway, a train went RIGHT into the newly (re)created platform. So there must've been something it didn't like, GOK what. Note the station was originally created as a 4 track 9 square in one click, not bits at a time.
sounds like you most likely had a stale reservation. the reasons how they appear are unclear and a bit hard to debug, so there may be some rare conditions left in the code. the track is considered "reserved" for a path, and thus new trains trying to find a path will not go there. other than removing and rebuilding, it can be fixed by forcing a train through the track, by removing all alternative paths and then pressing the "ignore signal" button (sometimes needs pressing twice with path signals)
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Eddi wrote:
ccomley wrote:OK that's weird.

sounds like you most likely had a stale reservation. the reasons how they appear are unclear and a bit hard to debug, so there may be some rare conditions left in the code. the track is considered "reserved" for a path, and thus new trains trying to find a path will not go there. other than removing and rebuilding, it can be fixed by forcing a train through the track, by removing all alternative paths and then pressing the "ignore signal" button (sometimes needs pressing twice with path signals)

Makes sense! Cheers, had not thought of that.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

on the side note of half a roof graphics, you can just overbuild the station to change the graphics
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Eddi wrote:on the side note of half a roof graphics, you can just overbuild the station to change the graphics
Yeah, I was not losing sleep over that.

Interesting though, if you use dragon drop to make a second track next to an existing single track station, sometimes it draws a second no-canopy track, and sometimes it works out it's now two tracks wide and adds a canopy to both, but it didn't keep up with me removing a track!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i don't think there is any automatic checking to complete a roof when you combine two separate stations. at least not in the default station, some NewGRF stations can do that, though.

Return to “General OpenTTD”