De-expire

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

De-expire

Post by ccomley »

Dammit, I just found out half way through a game that the mix of modules I'v chosen has NO passenger or mail carriage once the TGV is introduced. And whilst i set it to "never expire" before I started, this setting wasn't retained after a reboot and now the stuff is removed from the New Vehicle list, turning Never Expire on doesn't bring it back. Is there a way to do that?

Is there an easy way of working out what a combination of GRFs will do before getting stuck into a game?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: De-expire

Post by Alberth »

ccomley wrote:Dammit, I just found out half way through a game that the mix of modules I'v chosen has NO passenger or mail carriage once the TGV is introduced. And whilst i set it to "never expire" before I started, this setting wasn't retained after a reboot and now the stuff is removed from the New Vehicle list, turning Never Expire on doesn't bring it back. Is there a way to do that?
Unless you modified the config file while OpenTTD was running (which is a bad idea as OpenTTD writes its config values to that file when it exits), I don't see how a reboot would have any effect.
Once you started a game, the settings are copied into that game, thus as soon as you reload the game, you have your settings at the time of starting the game back (except for some local stuff like currency, and other display settings).

As to your question, it's a FAQ: https://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_gameplay#H ... es_back.3F pointing to the wiki page https://wiki.openttd.org/Never_expire_vehicles Likely you can also find the answer in this forum, as it's asked quite often.
Is there an easy way of working out what a combination of GRFs will do before getting stuck into a game?
Without knowing what each grf provides, not really. Most grfs are designed for some particular era, and may not provide anything sane outside that period. It just depends on what the author has done there.
Perhaps some stuff is described in the readme file that is often provided in some way.

Other than that, using a grf in a test game is the best way to find out what it does not provide :p

Another option of course is to live with the limitations and surprises that it springs on you. A tycoon is flexible, and can make a decent profit with any external limitations put in place by some external factor :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: De-expire

Post by ccomley »

Thanks. Should've checked wiki, though I don't think it said last time I did look - probably some years go.

The reboot thing was a powerfail, so the game didn't "exit", which is presumably why when I reloaded none of the settings came back. This includes it went back to the low res graphics instead of Zbase, or I may never have noticed until this happened!! :-)

Return to “General OpenTTD”