Organizing Vehicles in Groups

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CodeVengeance
Engineer
Engineer

Organizing Vehicles in Groups

Post by CodeVengeance »

Just questioning on how you organize your vehicle groups because I really don't know how I should group my vehicles.
Hey there, check out my Steam and YouTube Account!
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/code_vengeance/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFznez ... 6YdhHbhZ3w
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Organizing Vehicles in Groups

Post by mak »

Cargoes carried, ie. passenger, mail, coal etc. but I also split passengers to local, high speed and long distance.

Of course everyone will have a different system :shock:
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Every line has it's own group, it's easy to manage lines this way and see profit for each line.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, by line. It's annoying to set up but it's auto-separation works that way and they have shared orders; you can see the profits etc.

In my last game I went with a naming scheme that's basically [Type] [Start-City]-[Industry/Place/...]-[Destination-City]-[Industry/Place/...]. So could be something like CG SAK-Fsh-KAN-Haf. Turned out OK.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'm also grouping by line or route. My naming convention for cargo transport is very simple: It's the name of the origin town and the type of cargo. In Norwegian they are naturally concatenated, such as "Haresetmat" (Hareset Food) or "Knølvangkull" (Knølvang Coal) from my current game. I'm using the same name for the first individual vehicle with a number 1 added, like "Knølvangkull 1". This number will be auto-incremented by the game when you copy vehicles.

For passenger and mail routes (which I don't do much), I will set up groups called "Passengers" and "Mail", and as subgroups under them the separate routes like "Balleklepp-Ranglemyr" which are names of the two towns connected by the route.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

With the second-last version of ottd grouping vehicles hasn't been necessary at accomplishing auto separation. Grouping's necessary for auto replacements (as opposed to auto renew).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I may want to know what you mean by "second latest".
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Second-last..as in second most recent version, and not the current release.
KevinR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KevinR »

I group by line also, with the exception of aircraft which I group by type... I find that it helps satisfy my OCD immensely :D
Southern Counties, 3rd Feb 1996.png
(506.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I classify them by lines for pax. Same thing.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Mostly by cargo and then under subgroups. Like distance or different mines and so on.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
(154.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I tack data indicating type of route service (limited express, etc.), their route lengths (days) and service frequencies (days), plus sometimes vehicle types (bus, coach, doubledecker, tram), all onto the end of my abbreviated group names, which I name origin-destination; except for passengers, I prefix each group name by the corresponding cargo. Anyhow, I tack on those data to signal to me which routes have been successfully timetabled and staggered (food, goods, mail, passengers, and valuables).
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I don't always group everything but the system is indispensable for routes with a lot of vehicles. I tend to run a lot of mass tram or bus routes with 20-40 vehicles per route and grouping makes this much easier to track. It's also good for managing servicing and depots as it's easy to track which vehicles use each depot, say if you need to move a depot. Town and number is enough to classify.

A major improvement to the game in my view would be the ability to set up a route group with a route first, then assign vehicles.

Grouping by cargo then sub-grouping by route is a good idea, that would make things tidier.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I normally divide buses by town served (or major town, if they visit more than one), trucks by cargo, ships by cargo and/or type (so, "Bulk Cargos" for Iron Ore, Coal, Grain etc, "Piece Cargos" for Steel, Timber etc), and planes by route and length (so, "Hoppers", "Short Ranged" "Medium Range" "Long Range" "Ultra-Long Range" then by route in those categories).

Trains and trams get complex. They depend on time period, initially being divided first into railway operating company (LNWR, Midland, LSWR, GNR etc) then by either Goods, Passenger & Mail or "Reserve" (where I keep spare engines that are not life or use expired), then for Goods its separated by type (a bit like ships, but usually Mineral & Aggregate Traffic, Heavy Goods like steel, timber, Manufactured Goods for Goods, Manfacturing Supplies etc, Farms & Produce for anything grown etc) and for Passenger & Mail separated by route then type, so Passenger first then Mail on that route as a subgroup.

Of course, with the coming of Nationalisation, the operating companies become Regions (and bits get chopped and changed around before then anyway), and in the 80s, Sectorisation comes in so everything is divided by what BR sector they are part of. (Different Railfreight sectors, Regional Railways, Network Southeast, Scotrail...)

Return to “General OpenTTD”