New industries open too frequently

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

rubric
Engineer
Engineer

New industries open too frequently

Post by rubric »

I'm playing on a large map with FIRS 3, using the Steel Town parameter. I like to spend a lot of time at the start of the game planning main routes to connect the important industries.

New industries open every year (seems like multiple ones per year). So, by 10 years into the game, all my planning is now irrelevant because closer locations have opened up.

I want to reduce or eliminate random new industries, but keep the option to fund/prospect when I feel like it. Is there a setting for this?

Thanks.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: New industries open too frequently

Post by piratescooby »

viewtopic.php?t=77262 , has a setting to switch on/off the spawning of industries , I always use when playing with Firs , a few other great settings can be altered .
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

You can generate a world and then, while still being ingame, go into settings and set "number of industries" to "funding only".
Alternatively, you can create a scenario with the aforementioned setting, edit it to your convenience and play it.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

There's also a game script to reduce random building of new industries until certain percent is served.
viewtopic.php?t=77335
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

You have several options:
  • - When creating the map indicate "funding only" for your industries, gaining an extra difficulty in the early years of the game.
    - Use the "Villages Is Villages" script to control the number and creation of industries.
    - Let the years go by without doing anything, I'm sure that some industry will close down... or maybe not.
    - Create your own map with the cities and industries that you want; Only recommended if you don't hurry to start playing.
    - Use Ctrl + Alt + c to access the tricks window and delete the unwanted industries with the magic bulldozer.
OTTD is rich in options and play styles, I'm sure that someone has another alternative/s...
Everyone is a world in this great game; Just enjoy.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
rubric
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rubric »

Thanks for the answers. I'll check out the scripts at some point, but for now I'm using vrn's solution of adjusting the Industry Density setting. This solves the problem 100%.

I didn't think of looking in World Gen settings to find a solution to an in-game problem, so in case anybody with the same problem reads this in the future, the setting is "World Generation -- Industry Density -- Funding Only. " Set it after you generate the world.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I activated industries from the outset playing somebody's Japanese scenario, taking care at setting the quantity/density to "Very Low", but many's worth end up being spawned. Often even pairs of farms, gold mines, etc., virtually neighbour one another, plus multiple industries per town isn't enabled either. Is this normal? What might happen were I too reset the density to "Minimal"?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

They can neighbour each other, if you have a lot of towns to do so.
You can disable industry spawning in the parameters normally.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

trainrover wrote:What might happen were I too reset the density to "Minimal"?
the game calculates a rough number on how many industries as a whole should be on the map, based on map size, industry density setting, current year and appearance chances set by the loaded industry NewGRF. it will generate new industries as long as the number of industries is below this value, so in a scenario it is often the case that there were too few industries placed on game start, and the game creates new industries quickly to fill out this missing space. over time, the industries will plateau, and new creation will only happen when industries close down (this is independent from this setting) or if the influence of current year increases the desired number of industries

if you change the setting during game play, not much will happen initially, but over time one of two things will happen:
  1. the new number is still higher than the current number of industries, the creation will go on, but the plateau will ultimately be at a lower number
  2. the new number is lower than the current number of industries, there will be no new industries for a while, until either the industry closure or the current year influence will catch up
changing the setting will not result in increased closures
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Aha! about two-thirds of my map is water. The author created the scenario without any industry; I switched industries on right from the beginning. Thank you, I'm going to endeavour at lowering the density.

Return to “General OpenTTD”