Presignal troubles

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

palsecam
Engineer
Engineer

Presignal troubles

Post by palsecam »

Hello,

I have build a RORO main station which is composed of 12 tracks. A double track mainline is feeding the station. I split twice the tracsk to create a cascading split. I put signals using a combination of entrey/combo/exit signals to let trains direct to free tracks.

However, it does not works as expected. The presignals aren't working like it's supposed to (as least how I understand it).

Here is a screenshot of my entrance :

As you can see, the second entry is red, even though the free tracks after.

How to fix that ?

thanks
Attachments
openttd.png
entrance
(1.82 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Presignal troubles

Post by Pyoro »

Well. You are using block signals. That means if a train is within a block, no other train can be in the same block. The block in this case is the crossing, and there's a train in it.

Alternative: make all entry signals into path signals. Remove exit signals, put them 1 train length behind the crossing as path signals as well. Done.

e: illustration from the wiki:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Path_signals
palsecam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by palsecam »

Pyoro wrote:Well. You are using block signals. That means if a train is within a block, no other train can be in the same block. The block in this case is the crossing, and there's a train in it.

Alternative: make all entry signals into path signals. Remove exit signals, put them 1 train length behind the crossing as path signals as well. Done.

e: illustration from the wiki:
https://wiki.openttd.org/Signals#Path_signals
Thanks Pyoro;
I miss something in my comprehension. Here is the entry layout of my station:

If I use path based signal, will the train choose "wisely" upcoming free track, or will they choose the shortest path, stacking in the first branches ?
Attachments
Palsecam Transport, 16 Sep 1987.png
(1.35 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

They'll prioritize using the path with the smallest pathfinder penalty. That usually means a) shortest b) fewest signals c) fewest crossings.
But if that path is not available they'll use a free one, yes (unless the pathfinder difference is too huge I think, but I doubt that's the case in your setup).
palsecam
Engineer
Engineer

Post by palsecam »

Pyoro wrote:They'll prioritize using the path with the smallest pathfinder penalty. That usually means a) shortest b) fewest signals c) fewest crossings.
But if that path is not available they'll use a free one, yes (unless the pathfinder difference is too huge I think, but I doubt that's the case in your setup).
Your help is very appreciated. I still have a lot to learn :)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Path signals simplifies a lot of the hassle with presignals.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

If you switch to path signals, you should actually remove all of the signals from the initial station entry switch all the way to the platform, those marked here:

Just replacing those with path signals will cause trains to make "dumb" choices about pathing, because they only examine the path from one signal to the next, not from some entry signal all the way to the destination platform. So leaving those signals in, you might get two trains choosing the same exact route towards the station, and the second train waiting in front of the platform for the first to leave, instead of choosing a different platform. When taking out those signals, instead the train will look for a complete path all the way to the platform, and can't choose a platform that's already occupied.
However, you also need to shorten the total forking area then, since you no longer need room for full length trains to wait. The total length from the station entry signals (just before the final "master switch" before the forking area) should probably be no more than about one-and-a-half train lengths.

Return to “General OpenTTD”