[Survey] What mods do you always play with?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

iamdak
Engineer
Engineer

[Survey] What mods do you always play with?

Post by iamdak »

Hey,

I'm interested in what mods do you consider essential to the game experience. I have made a survey, where you can share your opinions:

http://www.survey-maker.com/QTAXMC7

Only NewGRFs with number of downloads higher 100 000 are included, but there is also space for any extra mentions.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Survey] What mods do you always play with?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The lack of a none-of-the-above option on the first page means that those of us who consider no gamescript essential can't even see the other questions.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Depending on your play-style, the set of newgrfs is completely different. Almost all newgrfs aim for only one style of playing.
Since there are 4-5 different ways of playing the game, you'll get mixed answers, and probably end up with newgrf combinations that don't make sense.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I entered some choice, yet I'd like to stress Alberth's words: in order to get something meaningful out of this, it needs
a) the "none of this" option in each list
b) probably a query of the preferred game style (which those could be and how to name and distringuish them might be an art in itself)
c) whether playing solo or in multiplayer

Further: I wonder about the origin of the NewGRF list :) I didn't see either FIRS nor Swedish Houses - both are elaborate, nicely-drawn and likely among the popular ones.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

planetmaker wrote:Further: I wonder about the origin of the NewGRF list :) I didn't see either FIRS nor Swedish Houses - both are elaborate, nicely-drawn and likely among the popular ones.
Well, he said 100000 downloads upwards; since FIRS regularly gets updated it's at 85k. Swedish Houses is at 97k.

Frankly, instead of giving a survey with options this would probably be better done with just asking people to write what they consider essential to their style of play. Tougher to sum up the results but at least it'd be accurate.
jschlatt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jschlatt »

Been playing for a few years but the only 'mod' that's always on my newGRF list is Industrial Stations Renewal. I don't think I have the patience (or skill) for a complete industry replacement mod or anything like that.
YouTube guy. Tycoon game enthusiast.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Gamescripts have sorta passed me by, never took the time to even scratch my head over what they're supposed to be. Seem kinda neat, though. When I do play OTTD these days, I play around with the wasteland grf.
jschlatt wrote:Been playing for a few years but the only 'mod' that's always on my newGRF list is Industrial Stations Renewal. I don't think I have the patience (or skill) for a complete industry replacement mod or anything like that.
Oh hi and welcome, and by the way, by a strange stroke of luck I stumbled upon your channel and the OTTD video just today. Top-shelf stuff :wink:

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
iamdak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iamdak »

Baldy's Boss wrote:The lack of a none-of-the-above option on the first page means that those of us who consider no gamescript essential can't even see the other questions.
An oversight on my part. I have added the option now.
iamdak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iamdak »

Pyoro wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Further: I wonder about the origin of the NewGRF list :) I didn't see either FIRS nor Swedish Houses - both are elaborate, nicely-drawn and likely among the popular ones.
Well, he said 100000 downloads upwards; since FIRS regularly gets updated it's at 85k. Swedish Houses is at 97k.

Frankly, instead of giving a survey with options this would probably be better done with just asking people to write what they consider essential to their style of play. Tougher to sum up the results but at least it'd be accurate.
That's why I added the third question, so you could write down any mods that did not fit in the list :)
iamdak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iamdak »

planetmaker wrote:I entered some choice, yet I'd like to stress Alberth's words: in order to get something meaningful out of this, it needs
a) the "none of this" option in each list
b) probably a query of the preferred game style (which those could be and how to name and distringuish them might be an art in itself)
c) whether playing solo or in multiplayer

Further: I wonder about the origin of the NewGRF list :) I didn't see either FIRS nor Swedish Houses - both are elaborate, nicely-drawn and likely among the popular ones.
I would probably have to make a survey about playing styles first then. :D

The list is everything >100k downloads. If your favorite mod is not there, just put in down in question 3.
jschlatt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jschlatt »

Drury wrote:
jschlatt wrote:Been playing for a few years but the only 'mod' that's always on my newGRF list is Industrial Stations Renewal. I don't think I have the patience (or skill) for a complete industry replacement mod or anything like that.
Oh hi and welcome, and by the way, by a strange stroke of luck I stumbled upon your channel and the OTTD video just today. Top-shelf stuff :wink:
Thank you sir! :D
I am currently working on a sequel to it
YouTube guy. Tycoon game enthusiast.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I don't think there are any mods I always play with, because I like playing in different settings with different aesthetics. It is fun to imagine running railways and transport in different parts of the world. I have enjoyed playing with the Japanese, SBB and Finnish sets while playing relevant maps for example, but I wouldn't always use those newGRFs. Also, part of the fun of playing with newGRFs is not always knowing which new vehicle will come next - and the different strategies they encourage, such as the SBB set which encourages electrification.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Too true. I would say a vehicle GRF is essential for me ... but it can be anything, depending on the scenario. Same for town GRFs and such.

The logical conclusion can then only be that EmptyGRF is the most essential GRF. Always fits...

Well, joking aside (obv. plenty other GRFs that always fit and that I always use, like IRS), it's very hard to imagine playing a game without it. So I guess it's actually kinda true for me :mrgreen:
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

IRS isn't awful compatible with Toyland... Very few GRFs are, in fact. Screaming shame.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I would agree, IRS is definitely the most universal for me too. Just makes industrial stations look right, wherever they are supposed to be in the world.

Love the different building sets but again horses for courses...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Drury wrote:IRS isn't awful compatible with Toyland... Very few GRFs are, in fact. Screaming shame.
If you need Toyland compatible GRFs, you may use any of mine, are fully compatible with all climates; And yes, it's true, Toyland is the marginalised climate in OTTD.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Surely, the download figures tell you what you want to know about the popularity of a NewGRF, gamescript, scenario or heightmaps. Sure, it may be skewed by the latest update being recent, but you should still be able to get an idea
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Interesting you put BROS, a vastly incomplete set with only a handful of trains, yet left off BRTrains, the spiritual successor of BROS which has a far greater roster of availability.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

pure download numbers are a terrible estimation of popularity.

like, if youtube based its definition of "popular" purely on number of views of a video, people would never get to see newly uploaded videos, because millions of old videos have vastly more views.
iamdak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iamdak »

Gwyd wrote:Surely, the download figures tell you what you want to know about the popularity of a NewGRF, gamescript, scenario or heightmaps. Sure, it may be skewed by the latest update being recent, but you should still be able to get an idea
That's not entirely true. FIRS, which was one of the most popular answers, wasn't even in the top 200 by number of downloads.

Return to “General OpenTTD”