Fullscreen / Windows mode

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you use fullscreen mode?

Poll ended at 27 May 2018 12:27

Windowed for life
54%
Fullscreen but same as desktop resolution.
46%
Fullscreen but different to desktop, I like seeing my windows shoved around!
No votes

Total votes: 37

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Fullscreen / Windows mode

Post by peter1138 »

Do you ever use fullscreen mode? Do you ever use fullscreen mode in a different resolution to your desktop?

These days it is common for fullscreen mode to be a borderless window, so should we switch to that and drop traditional fullscreen mode?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Fullscreen / Windows mode

Post by Pyoro »

I switch pretty frequently between fullscreen 1920x1080 and whatever windowed mode suits my mood. Can't even say I use one more than the other ... ^^;

Can't really say there's anything I miss. Well. If it were possible pressing Alt+Enter to go back and forth between "windowed at whatever resolution I set" and "fullscreen at screen resolution" would be nice but I'm not sure that's even possible to do.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Ah, I've updated the poll to let you pick multiple answers.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

I only use windowed when I need to tab out of the game. Voted for same resolution even though technically it's not true as I have two monitors so larger desktop and I only go fs on the main monitor.
Don't rly care how is fs implemented as long as it works as fast as possible. And windowed mode seems to be slower for me.
viator2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viator2 »

3840x2160 full view works splendid.

windows button to go back to desktop (work) and push OpenTTD icon to return to the dreamworld!

THANKS to the devs :D

Keep up the good work
( preferably in 32bpp )
It is highly appreciated. :!:

Greetz
also to all millions of lurkers like me enjoying your fine grf's :wink:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I play windowed, but with the window sized as the entire desktop, as using full screen for some reason completely hangs my computer...
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

IMHO Fullscreen forever :D
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

windowed but max window size to take all desktop

i would not mind play ful screen but seen i had the option for window i stay with it
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I'm playing OTTD in a maximised window on my 32" 2560x1440 screen. I hardly ever use fullscreen mode, because then I can't watch the task bar for new emails and messages.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

For mouse cursor clicky games like TT I prefer a maximized window, so I can just go over to other programs quickly and check things, leave them in the background for a bit, etc., without having to get annoyed by things like having to push keys to get out of the game. Exception being some games that are really weird about windowed mode and don't really like being switched away from, but OTTD is not one of those.
ANIKHTOS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ANIKHTOS »

jfs wrote:For mouse cursor clicky games like TT I prefer a maximized window, so I can just go over to other programs quickly and check things, leave them in the background for a bit, etc., without having to get annoyed by things like having to push keys to get out of the game. Exception being some games that are really weird about windowed mode and don't really like being switched away from, but OTTD is not one of those.
then i have a solution for you
D3DWindower
is a small program that allows you to play any programs that wanted full screen into window mode
as for the programs concerning it things it is still running full mode

some old program even run better!!!!
i have a game panzer general2 for example and in full screen the colons were bad but in the window mode using this programs the colours were okey !?!?!?

full screen is nice if you need any tiny pixel to help you with the game
now with the big screens this is not really an issue

remember back in the day win win95 and computers havign 640 or 800 resolution playing window was not possile since the window itself wa taking so much space
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Full Screen all the time. In 1280x1024 resolution. At least last time I played, 3 years ago. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”