Suggestion for co-op play? Advanced economics?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TheNewGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Suggestion for co-op play? Advanced economics?

Post by TheNewGuy »

Hey there.

First of all a big thanks to all the OpenTTD developers, I only recently got aware of the game.
Since then, a couple of friends and me are playing OpenTTD more or less regularly.

As, I guess, almost everyone here is aware of, making money in OpenTTD isn't a big problem and
I don't want to change that. However my question, or rather my questions are:

Does anyone of you have an idea of how to play a _nice_ coop game anyhow?
Like, is there anything (do you have any idea) on how cooperation instead of pure competition
between players could be motivated (not forced) and working in a multiplayer game?

My idea was something like:"Every player gets a city assigned and he hes to serve the city as good
as possible to help the city grow. And when he needs resources he doesn't have access to himself
he could cooperate with someone who does have the access to"?!
Is there ANY mod/script whatever that offers the opportunity to have benefits from cooperative behavior?

2. I am not entirely happy with the way the OpenTTD mechanics (rather economics) are working. I LOVE
smaller networks, trying to "help a city" fulfill its demands by having short connections to other cities a bus
service in addition etc.. THAT however is NOT giving the highest financial reward. Are there scripts/game mechanics
that would reward such behavior as well? (E.g. the authoritives love me and idk give me a bonus something like that)?
In addition is any script available that works like a "local cargo pricing" depending on requirement and offer?

For both questions (2, 2.1) I was thinking about something like that:"What about an income calculated by the distance to the nearest feasible source of the needed good plus some margin depending on distance transported (thus simulating some kind of market price by competition)?" source: https://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/commen ... go_income/

3. Last (and I guess easiest question), is there a way to easily modify game mechanics like the passenger
output of hotels? (We are using FIRS and some more mods which I am not entirely aware of rn).

Thanks a lot for any ideas and feedback!!
<3

p.s. I especially kinda favour the idea of being rewarded for transporting cargo types as efficiently (shortest distance, etc.) as
possible compared to as far as possible (depending on cargo types, e.g. passengers might be different).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Suggestion for co-op play? Advanced economics?

Post by acs121 »

If you want cooperative playing, use JGR's or Spring 2013 patchpack. They include Infrastructure Sharing. Thus, you can share all your stations, bus stops, loading bays, etc with your friends.

You can actually cooperate this way, by having a company from a friend delivering things into your stations and loading bays, but there is no script rewarding this behaviour.

Authorities won't reward you for an outstanding service, though this is an idea to keep. There isn't any game script for that too AFAIK. You can still use BaseCosts NewGRF to reduce vehicle running costs, so it's about the same ;)
For the hotels, simply set passenger distribution to symmetric, logically this will increase a bit the output.
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

What me and my friends usually did during LAN parties was all of us joining the same company, and each of us taking care of some aspects of the company.
E.g, one would build train line, other one would build feeder bus lines.
I usually took care of building airports and connecting them to existing networks.
This worked out pretty well, but I have to admit, when one of us screwed up then it would affect the whole company.
Recently, however, we've switched to the already mentioned JGR's patch pack, and we're taking advantage of things like infrastructure sharing, automatic time tables, and most importantly the day length factor.
Now, each of us have an individual company specializing on one mean of transport, but we still act as one network.
Our strategy usually consists of me connecting far away cities with airport, another guy connecting nearby cities with railroads, and another guy setting up local bus lines in the individual cities, so we end up with a large, map-wide network in which every single station is indirectly connected thanks to cargodist.
---
Although, I realize that the experience of such a game depends on the people you play with.
I guarantee you, if you wanted to play like this on a public server, you'd end up with a bunch of trolls who just want to ruin the game for others...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The NoCarGoal gives you transport goals to fulfill as a company, which you can work on together.

The SiliconValley script does something similar, but it's more centered around a single cargo type and around a city where you have to build factories.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”