On priority signals!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andrexavier
Engineer
Engineer

On priority signals!

Post by andrexavier »

Hellows all!

Since I didnt see any newcomers section I will make my first post here.

I've been trying to anderstand how priority signals work with all those block entry and exit and all the mix signals for some days. Checked some videos on youtube too and sometimes, just sometimes, I see the position of the exit signal at the point where the incoming train merge, others at somewhere else. It didnt make much sense and I then started to play on an attempt and error to see what hepppens and I found this and would love some comments, since this is totally different from what I see on the wiki and videos.

I do the basic connections bettwin the blocks with the paralel track but I just use an exit block signal at the marked spot to block entry when someone come down by the main line. All the other signals are nonreverse path signals. I got surprised when this worked and would like to anderstand whats going on behind this, since its totally different from everything I found till now. Did the game mechanics change and allowed this? Or I did something right without knowing it?

Please, comment!
Hugs to all and its a pleasure to be here with you all!

Andre
Attachments
priority signal.jpg
priority signal.jpg (150.54 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Sylf
President
President

Re: On priority signals!

Post by Sylf »

What you've created is a version of priority signaling using path signals. The signal circled in red does not have to be an exit signal - it can be any type of block signals.
This type of signaling has been possible as long as I've know OpenTTD - about 8 years by now.
How does it work exactly? You should understand the definition of signal block. Here's a nice picture comparing block signal and path signal: https://wiki.openttd.org/Signal#Path_signals
When you use a block signal (exit signal is a type of block signal), any rails connected to the rail in front of the block signal is considered to be in the same signal block, up to the next signal. Because of the parallel track with no signals shown in the screenshot, the point where two tracks merge is in the same signal block as other pieces of rails attached to the parallel track.
Path signals, on the other hand, doesn't understand the concept of signal block. It only considers if the path you're about to take is free, or is occupied (reserved) by another train. So, as long as the path in front of the path signal, up to the next signal, is free, the trains in the main line is free to proceed.
There is an option you can select - Under the Settings window, there is a setting called "Show path reservations for tracks" - turn this on, and you can see the different path reservation behavior between path signals and block signals. Seeing that difference might give you some additional clues to understand how this works.
andrexavier
Engineer
Engineer

Re: On priority signals!

Post by andrexavier »

Thanks a lot for the answer!

So bsically the answer is I was doing something right without knowing it... lol

I must admit that this priority signaling concept is a bit confusing.

Ill check that link asap!

Hugs!

Return to “General OpenTTD”