New Project Map - Need Advice!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ryonisus
Engineer
Engineer

New Project Map - Need Advice!

Post by Ryonisus »

Hey Everyone! Long time stalker of OpenTDD forums, first time poster here!! So first and foremost Hello!

I am working on setting up a new MASSIVE Map, starting as early as I can functionally with carts and ships and then working my way through the years to the future. Map size could be upwards of 4000 sq, and potentially have different islands seperated by unbridgeable water, so I can utilize ships and planes more realistically. This is going to be a map that I see myself playing on for years, so it's got to be set up perfectly ;)

That being said, I have a couple of questions, and would like to see what y'all recommend for GRF's and Script settings, etc...

1. Is there a way to change the starting date for the 6 cart (and 4 cart) horse carts? It's always bothered me that the 6 cart mail is available before the 4 cart cargos, and only 2 cart passenger until 1850 (ish). If i understand corrrectly, the horse carts speed shouldn't change realistically with more horses (max speed anyways)... the more horses you have the more you can carry in real life correct?

2. I need to be able to slow down cargo demands in the beginning. While I envision my cities that will end up being major ports will be huge by the time I hit Iron Horse years (as in real life), I don't think there is anyway to handle the demand rates of the game as it stands in the 1700 and 1800s. Again as in real life, Transport was more localized in the olden days, primarily focused around ships...But I don't want to have 5000 ships back and forth all the time... but I need that growth to expand (even if I have to do it manually) down the road as more options become available for transport.

3. What are your recommendations for GRF's and Scripts, etc.
kamnet

Re: New Project Map - Need Advice!

Post by kamnet »

1. I don't know what NewGRF you're using for the carts, but generally you cannot edit the intro dates of vehicles. You have three options. You can contact the NewGRF author and see if they will modify it, you can modify the NewGRF code to the changes you want and then personally use that (or publish if the license allows) or you can just make a whole new set yourself.

2. Same as above, if you want slower industry production, you'll need to use a NewGRF for it. As an aside, 5000+ ships and carts isn't unrealistic. Major cities and ports were jam packed. The history of human development typically only has three options: faster, bigger, and more.

3. Rather than drop yet another list of NewGRFs, I will suggest you look at posts similar to yours. Many have asked this same question and the suggested NewGRFs haven't changed. Also take a look at the NewGRF List on the OpenTTD will, it's fairly inclusive and up to date.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

1. I like to play early, starting in 1700 or 1800. I used EGRVTS horses previously but switched to PolRoad set which has much better balance and is well thought in general, it has some horses from 1700, but omnibuses and fast coaches appear only in early 1800x.
I also use EarlyRail set which has some horse locomotives from 1700, they can be cheaper than horse vehicles or faster if you add some more horses to your train.
There's also 600mm narrow gauge set which also has horses but they are not available for all cargoes before 1800 if I remember correctly.

2. I use SPI 1.3, it works good for early game as primary production is relatively low initially, but can be raised later with various supplies and manpower.

3. Newgrfs I use for more or less balanced play from 1700 to 2000:

For road vehicles: PolRoad + PolTrams + HEQS (only trams enabled)
For trains: UKRS2 + EarlyRail, Wired, Pipe
Ships: Fish + custom SailingShips version balanced for use with Fish
Aircrafts: av8
Industry: custom modified SPI 1.3 version (limited distance from source to primary industry depending on year, limited number of primary and secondary industries depending on total/local population etc.)

Scripts: Renewed_City_Growth-6 works good for me with SPI. There's also interesting Think_globally_act_locally script that limits not only town growth but also industry growth depending on service quiality.
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

A small list of NewGRFs, based only on their high quality and improvements for OTTD:
  • - Cars Cars
    - Polish PKP Set
    - Kaijus City Names
And for a really, really, early start:
  • - Famous Cars
But, maybe, is crazy this early start :D
If you know the Flintstones' car, you know the first vehicle of Famous Cars.
Back to reality, the first list is perfect.
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!

Return to “General OpenTTD”