Playing the game on the opening screen

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

xendistar
Engineer
Engineer

Playing the game on the opening screen

Post by xendistar »

Some time ago somebody posted how to save the game that is displayed when you first start OTTD (wthe game that runs behind the Load, open New window), is it possible to still do that and if so how?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Playing the game on the opening screen

Post by Redirect Left »

Yes.

I believe the file is stored at '/data/opntitle.dat' - take your savegame (make sure you save the game where you want it to be displayed in the main menu), and rename it to this - don't delete the original opentitle.dat incase you need it again. Close OpenTTD first

You cannot 'play' this game though on the menu, but you can keep the original file and continue playing it as a normal save game.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
xendistar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xendistar »

Thanks found it, I am running the linux version, so the location was different but found it via the file name.
paritcl3s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paritcl3s »

I'm reviving a thread since it relates to my question,

When loading a opntitle.dat of my own it reads

Code: Select all

$ ./openttd
dbg: [sl] Game Load Failed
Broken savegame - The intro game must not use NewGRF
dbg: [grf] NewGRF file is missing 'american_road_replacement_set-2.0.0/americanroads.grf'; disabling
dbg: [grf] NewGRF file is missing 'total_town_replac._set_early_mod-modified23.14/ttrs3w-early_mod.grf'; disabling
dbg: [grf] NewGRF file is missing 'american_bridge_replacement_set-0.4.0/american_bridges.grf'; disabling
dbg: [sl] Game Load Failed
Broken savegame - The intro game must not use NewGRF
Is there a reason for it not allowing newgrf?
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

There are two reasons.

New installations that do not have access to previous downloaded content will not work properly.
You can not fix this by automatic download upon starting the game for users without internet connection.

The title save works as an early check for developers.
If it fails to load you know something is wrong AND it is not caused by 'third-party' content so you can skip that part of the debugging fase completely, which saves heaps of potentially wasted time.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is a 3rd reason: the title screen is loaded before the newgrf scan happens, and newgrfs which have not been scanned yet cannot be loaded.

Return to “General OpenTTD”