Yate Haugans higher chance of crash in Sub-Arctic maps?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tribalskygod
Engineer
Engineer

Yate Haugans higher chance of crash in Sub-Arctic maps?

Post by tribalskygod »

Hi friends

I recently started a pure-airline game in a Sub-Arctic map, and only 8 years into the game I have already had 3 separate Yate Haugan crashes. I only sent them to large airports, so it won't be a matter of airport size, but it 'feels' as if the crash chance % is the same in small and large airports for the Yate Haugan. Is this intentional for Sub-Arctic maps?

Thanks in advance
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Yate Haugans higher chance of crash in Sub-Arctic maps?

Post by PikkaBird »

It's not intentional, nor, I suspect, a bug. You just got some unlucky coin flips. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

One tip : you can disable plane crashes in the parameters.
Also, Urban / Metropolitan airports don't have long enough runways to prevent jet planes from crashing. However, standard speed planes (952 kph) will have less chances of crashing. The crash will only depend on size of the runway and speed of the aircraft. Very fast planes, like the Yate Haugan, the FFP Hyperdart 2 or the Dinger 1000 will have very high chances of crashing, even on intercontinental airports.
If it isn't done yet, you can take the aircraft speed factor to 1/1.

If you are in 1990 or past, upgrading your airport would be the only solution.
tribalskygod
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tribalskygod »

I see. Do I understand correctly that there is an increased base chance of crashing for the Yate Haugan? What is the numerical value of this chance vs. other large aircraft in large or hub airports? If so, this should probably be elaborated in the aircraft entry and/or the Yate Haugan entry on the OpenTTD wiki.

I kind of like playing with crashes, as it's another variable which has to be balanced and solved. I'll try buying some more Yate Haugans to test the likelihood that it is a series of bad coin tosses.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there's two separate settings for random-coinflip crashes and too-short-runway crashes. you can flip them individually while running your tests to identify which kind of crash you are dealing with
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

tribalskygod wrote:I see. Do I understand correctly that there is an increased base chance of crashing for the Yate Haugan? What is the numerical value of this chance vs. other large aircraft in large or hub airports? If so, this should probably be elaborated in the aircraft entry and/or the Yate Haugan entry on the OpenTTD wiki.

I kind of like playing with crashes, as it's another variable which has to be balanced and solved. I'll try buying some more Yate Haugans to test the likelihood that it is a series of bad coin tosses.
Yes, all supersonic planes are more prone to crashing into airports - especially small and large airports. Only international airports have long enough runways to deal with supersonic planes. I estimate the chance for supersonic planes to crash in Urban and Metropolitan airports to around 33%. Large aircraft, such the Darwin 300, will have around 15-20% chance to crash. Smaller planes, such the Airtaxi A34 will have a 5-10% chance of crashing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have only rarely played with aircraft,but one thing I really want is for topography to play a role in the likelihood of crashes (whether tall buildings or mountains/slopes near airports).
Is that taken into account?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

acs121 wrote:Yes, all supersonic planes are more prone to crashing into airports - especially small and large airports.
All aircraft have the same crash chance per landing (0.07%, plus a 5% malus for "large" aircraft on "small" airports). There's no finer differentiation between aircraft or airports than small vs large, and aircraft speed is not a factor - except faster planes will, all else being equal, land more often.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I have only rarely played with aircraft,but one thing I really want is for topography to play a role in the likelihood of crashes (whether tall buildings or mountains/slopes near airports).
Is that taken into account?
No.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:
acs121 wrote:Yes, all supersonic planes are more prone to crashing into airports - especially small and large airports.
All aircraft have the same crash chance per landing (0.07%, plus a 5% malus for "large" aircraft on "small" airports). There's no finer differentiation between aircraft or airports than small vs large, and aircraft speed is not a factor - except faster planes will, all else being equal, land more often.
Actually, i was not totally wrong then - supersonic planes are all large aircraft, so they will have more chances of crashing on small airports - small or commuter.

Return to “General OpenTTD”